Disc Filter...yeast Barrier?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freezkat

Reaction score
I just capped 4 bottles of beer that I rand through a course grade disc filter. Did any yeast make it through?

If not, when I am ready to rack another beer could I just pour a couple ml of sediment into each bottle then cap again?

I just capped 4 bottles of beer that I rand through a course grade disc filter. Did any yeast make it through?

If not, when I am ready to rack another beer could I just pour a couple ml of sediment into each bottle then cap again?

I take it, not many have used a filter before.

If the filter is 1 micron absolute or courser you will be ok, enough yeasties will have made it through.

(from memory 0.35micron nominal is also ok)

QldKev

At least not this type of filter. You'll need to elaborate on the specifics to garner more responses.

Course filter is about as accurate as saying you mashed in with hot water, we need more details.

We use 0.2 micron filters at work to remove all yeast.

you mean one of These

the spiel says 5 - 7 micron which will let enough yeast through

you mean one of These

the spiel says 5 - 7 micron which will let enough yeast through

6-7 micron. The thing looks like a banjo head. vinamat maybe?

5L45I35Ka3md3N63p3bcp65f6cbe105a012b3.jpg

Should be plenty with that filter.
Trust you've used before, otherwise i hope you ran plenty of water through it before the beer, otherwise your beer will taste like wet cardboard.
That style of filter is pretty hopeless for beer filtering, as it clogs up quickly & the pads are expensive (well in Aus anyway).

cheers Ross

Whats the chances of listening to the b and n today and tasty mc was talking about filtering with a plate filter.I didnt have a clue what he was talking about never seen one till now.

It seems like we are on the ball here in oz with the know how of people (brewers) thet we have here.

sav

Whats the chances of listening to the b and n today and tasty mc was talking about filtering with a plate filter.I didnt have a clue what he was talking about never seen one till now.

It seems like we are on the ball here in oz with the know how of people (brewers) thet we have here.

sav

I have used this filter before for wine. What the heck does b and n mean?

I will able to tell everybody in a week when I test a bottle.

Latest posts

Back