Disaster Pils

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadSeed

Reaction score
Made an Czech style ag pils...

Used a Wyeast (2278) seemed to have started swelling in the bag, did I imagine it?
Didn't have time to make a starter, which I should have, so pitched it slightly warm (16 degrees) and hoped for the best.
Chucked in a brand new Tilt which I also failed to calibrate.

So after 4 days of 0 activity from the yeast I spoke to the LHBS dude, who knows his stuff.
He advised to pitch a Saflager,as the other yeast was clearly not active or close to becoming so.

So I pitched a Saf. At the same time I took a hydro sample to calibrate my Tilt.
As I shut the door on the fermenting fridge it knocked the plastic tap a bit. Around 5l spilled out.
ffs.

So, I'm going to see it through, once it's fermented and finished it''s rest I'll lager as normal and then keg. Although it's only around 15l.
I normally force carb but with the reduced volume, will this process be the same do you think?

geez sounds like you had some troubles.

The carbonation method should be the same as the volume of 15L for a keg is close to 80% capacity. if you are lagering it, just set the carbonation on 80kpa and leave it for 7days, then drop to 40kpa while it lagers and it will be spot on.

Making Lagers and pilsners are testing your skills, yeast viability and yeast cells available need to be very high and in very cold temps 9-12c for best results. Expect to get some off flavours from this batch and mark it down to learning.

need to be very high and in very cold temps 9-12c for best results. Expect to get some off flavours from this batch and mark it down to learning.
I know, I usually pitch big for Pilsners, pppppp applies to this one for sure. Hopefully won't be too bad, but expecting a bit of cardboard flavour.

Back