Disassemble keg spear

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mfroes

Reaction score
Hi guys, have anyone had any issues on disassembling their keg spear?
Mine is a kegking D type spear.
I have searched online and couldn't find any tool, then I found a post that by pushing down with a big Wrench and rotating should do it. That it wasn't supposed to be that hard, so I gave it a try.

After an hour trying, destroying a perfectly good Wrench and have had cut my hand in lots of places decided to give up because my hand was already bleeding too much.
So I left it on the table for a while when I heard a "snap". Went over to check the spear and one of the lips have came out.
Any ideas on what to do now? Can't seem to push it down anymore.

Attachments

• DSC_2779.jpg
    838.7 KB · Views: 48
  • DSC_2778.jpg
    686.8 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Keep googling, I’m pretty sure there is a tool, in fact I know there is one ...

upload_2017-11-8_23-22-10.png

It's much easier with the tool.

It's basically a screw press which hooks onto the head and compresses the spear internals, allowing the lock ring to be removed. The internals are then decompressed and removed.

The one illustrated comes from MicroMatic, works beautifully and costs an arm and a leg. KK sells a copy for about $300, I've never used theirs.

View attachment 109617
It's much easier with the tool.

It's basically a screw press which hooks onto the head and compresses the spear internals, allowing the lock ring to be removed. The internals are then decompressed and removed.

The one illustrated comes from MicroMatic, works beautifully and costs an arm and a leg. KK sells a copy for about $300, I've never used theirs.

I Thought these tools were just to remove the circlip from the top of the spear and not to get those rings from the bottom. so you could remove and reinsert them in the keg itself.
and from when i contacted kegking before they state
"We don't have any tool for dissembling the spears. "

Latest posts

Back