Dirty beer lines/stained

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerForBen

Reaction score
At the end of my keg it picked up some gunk. Idiot me forgot to clean the lines straight away. I cleaned them a couple of days later but the lines look stained in places. It doesn't look like there is much more than a stain. The lines have had sanitiser in them for a while. Couple of questions.
What cleaner/method is best to try remove anything that may still be there?
Should I be worried about it?
Do I just replace the line and learn from the experience?
Thanks in advance
Ben

Dissolve some sodium perc and soak the lines in it. Easier if you have a small cleaning keg to do so.

Or just close your eyes when you open the fridge :)

If it were a commercial long-line system you'd clean it with a caustic solution (it's typically some proprietry mix of sodium or potassium hydroxide and other bits, dyed so it's very obviously not water or beer). The stuff is nasty as hell but it will strip off any sort of staining or nasties from the inner sheath. You *can* do that as a homebrewer, however I dont really recommend it. If Wobbly74's suggestion of soaking it in PBW or sodium perc doesnt work, personally I think it's just easier to replace the lines on a homebrew scale. You're typically talking about, what, $10-$20 per tap to replace the lines. On a commercial system it's not even feasible.

But just because some staining is visible doesnt mean you have a *problem* either. Put a decent CLEANER not sanitiser in there and see how it goes.

IF you DO choose to use commercial beer line cleaner, a) make sure you dilute it properly, i.e. measure out the water first and THEN add the stuff (commercial setups usually have an automatic doser), and DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT get it on your skin. I have chemical burn scars from being blaze' with the stuff that arent pretty. Gloves and a pair of safety glasses if you're handling it undiluted directly, without a dilution pump

Could be mould, or protein. No stress.
Most of the 2 part concoctions are clear and a caustic mix with a peroxide booster. The potassium ‘1 shot’ is a pink colour from Bracton. There is also an enzyme product, but change was too hard for the industry to take.
I will check but it’s about 50c a meter for line, so way cheaper than expected.

Latest posts

Back