Dipa Settles At 1020...hmmmm...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. No-Tip

Reaction score
I realise there are hundreds of "is it finished" threads on this forum, but I hope my high gravity and consistent readings justify this thread.

19 days ago I began fermenting 20l of 1090, "200IBU" DIPA at 18.5 degrees with two rehydrated packets of US05:

87% Ale Malt
~4% Crystal
~3% Wheat
~5% dex in late boil.

I did my first grav reading last friday (12 days) - 1020.
I dry hopped on Monday (15 days). I gave the fermenter a fairly good rousing to help it finish off, and jumped up to 19.5
Today, (19 days)...still 1020.

I have reached the end of my dry hop period, and am well over the three days consistent grav reading...but my recipe estimated 10.14 vs my 10.20That's still 9.3% ABV, but might be a bit sweet.

Should I rouse again and up to 22 or something? Pitch some new yeast? Bottle at 1020?

Advice appreciated.

wow I have never brewed over 1.062OG lol But at 1,020 depending on the mash temp ( you did not say) I would say its done, 1.045 down to 1.010 is going good with a mid to low mash temp. If you mashed higher then it will change. Also look at the alcohol tolerance of the yeast as they will stall once that is reached.

I would say you are fine with all the dependence.

I'd say it's gonna stay where it is. It will probably attenuate lower given half a year or so in bottle, but for the moment I'd say your yeast is pretty pooped out.

Starting at 1.090 you're going to have a fair bit of alcohol which will lighten the body a bit. A lot of commercial DIPA's start lower and attenuate lower resulting in the same 8+%alc. 1.075-1.080SG is common with FG around 1.010-1.012. Mashing is usually 64-66 degrees.

Starting at 1.090 you're going to have a fair bit of alcohol which will lighten the body a bit. A lot of commercial DIPA's start lower and attenuate lower resulting in the same 8+%alc. 1.075-1.080SG is common with FG around 1.010-1.012. Mashing is usually 64-66 degrees.

The bigger the beer the harder it should fall, that's my motto.

Balance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

76% attenuation from 1.090 using 05 in unknown condition/age sounds ok to me. I think at such high bitterness 1.020 could go close to providing some balance to your beer.

Screwy

Thanks for the quick replies guys! Love the speed of this forum.

On reflection and temp compensation it's probably more 1018/1019...and was the other day according to my notes now that I check them. Not a big difference, but in the right direction...

depending on the mash temp ( you did not say)

It two lots of grain double mashed in my Braumeister. First mash was stepped from 38 to 52(15mins) to 63(90mins) to 73(30mins) to 78(15mins) - paranoid about my efficiency here.

Second mash was held around the mid 60s but I had issues with stuck sparge, blocked pumps and had to pour the whole lot into a bucket at one point...so I couldn't accurately say on that one!

200IBUs damn

Yeh, I moved a mash hop up to a FWH and it jumped from there. They reken we can't taste IBUs over ~100 right? Probably a waste of hops, but it smells and tastes awesome at the moment!

76% attenuation from 1.090 using 05 in unknown condition/age sounds ok to me. I think at such high bitterness 1.020 could go close to providing some balance to your beer.

Big American DIPAs know nothing of your balance! :p Nope, fair call. You mention the unknown condition/age of the 05...that triggers thoughts of the previous yeast experience with my LHBS, so that could def be a factor.

As to the sweetness balancing the bitterness, you may be right. This is the first time I've ever sipped a hydro sample in ~15 batches and actually understood the phrase 'tastes great from the fermenter'.

I think if it hasn't moved tonight, I'll crash chill and bottle...

Thanks!

Sorry if this sounds a bit harsh but Apparent Attenuation is a pretty basic concept in brewing and fundamental to making yeast choices.
O.G. was 1.090 now at 1.020, 70/90*100 = 77.7% with 77% being the anticipated attenuation for US-05 what in hell were you expecting to happen?
The yeast has preformed exactly to specification (actually a little better) the only problem is you are asking for a 5 loves and 2 fishs solution to a real world problem I have notice a distinct lack of divine intervention in my brewing, it tends to obey the normal rules.
If you want the beer to finish lower try a more attenuateive yeast Im pretty impressed that you got 77.7%.

The other point is about IBUs you simply cant get over 100 IBU in any beer (actually its closer to 90 but it depends a bit on the measuring method) 90mg/L of Iso-Alpha is the solubility limit.
If you put a 12th, 13th or 14th teaspoon of sugar in a cup of coffee it wouldnt get any sweeter as the last three would just join the 9th, 10th, and 11th on the bottom as you have exceeded the ability of the coffee to support sugar.
I know some people are making extravagant claims about making 1000 IBU beer but they are lying. Knowing that you can only get 100 IBU might actually help you allocate your hops, there is no point in adding the hops early and you get most of the taste and aroma fractions by adding later.
Mark

The other point is about IBUs you simply cant get over 100 IBU in any beer (actually its closer to 90 but it depends a bit on the measuring method) 90mg/L of Iso-Alpha is the solubility limit.
If you put a 12th, 13th or 14th teaspoon of sugar in a cup of coffee it wouldnt get any sweeter as the last three would just join the 9th, 10th, and 11th on the bottom as you have exceeded the ability of the coffee to support sugar.
I know some people are making extravagant claims about making 1000 IBU beer but they are lying. Knowing that you can only get 100 IBU might actually help you allocate your hops, there is no point in adding the hops early and you get most of the taste and aroma fractions by adding later.
Mark

I thought the threshold of taste was 100 IBUs, not the limit to the IBUs a wort could take...

If one were to add these hops late to achieve this 200 IBUs then there is a point.

And yes, you are being to harsh regarding the attenuation. Teach with humility.

Sorry if this sounds a bit harsh...

Maybe a bit harshly delivered, but I can take it. :)

You ask 'what did I expect' in terms of yeast attenuation? I didn't expect anything because attenuation was not a consideration in my brewing of this batch. Beersmith told me to expect it to drop to 1014 (based on whatever smarts are in beersmith I guess the fermentability of the grain bill without considering the attenuation of the yeast?), so I expected it to drop to 1014. When it didn't I posted this thread.

I was vaguely aware of attenuation, but I've never really thought about it before (basic as you say or not, it's just not been where I've focussed my learning/reading). I've learnt a bit more about it now and thank you for that. I'll get off my arse soon and buy the Yeast book soon and learn even more, I think.

Someone who gets sick of rookie threads might turn around and suggest one should stick to basics and build up understanding before tackling something complex like this, but it's been a good learning experience and your explanation has helped me see beyond 'it's probably finished' to 'it did the best it could and is almost certainly finished'. Thanks. :)

Back