Dip Tube

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sintax69

Reaction score
I just got a couple kegs from the states and setting up my kegs soon, just wondering how far from the bottom is the tube is supose to be mine is touching the bottom in the middle where there is a dimple. To me that is going to suck up all the sediment from the bottom is that what you do or is it set up a touch(how far?)from the bottom?

if your racking your beer to 2ndry, dont worry leave it....if your not racking, and going straight to the keg, dont worry, the first few glasses will be cloudy, but it will be ok after that,....to cut it off so you dont get any sediment youll be leaving 1-2 ltrs of beer in the keg at the end

Keeping the dip tube lets you maintain that wonderful homebrew haze. Clarity is overrated in my opinion.

I got to agree, dont cut it. But if you still want to shorten it just bend it up to one side.

I don't cut mine. The first couple of pours suck a bit of yeast and then clear.

In anycase I am with barfridge, what's the problem with a bit of real yeast?

i have with 2 of my kegs, taken the dip tube out and it could be placed back in the keg into 1 of 3 posible ways, one was pointing in the middle, the other against the side and the 3rd o forget. i shortened say 10mm off it and have it again the wall, i find it always draws clear.

however, i also agree with the sucking a first glass of yeasty beer through, so it dosn;t really matter. (to prime the line etc etc)

I have only done this to two of my 10 kegs as i was moving them about at a party and wanted to prevent the yeast pick up for mega drinkers. all my other kegs remain as std.

cheers

Ok is seems I was over thinking as usual I will just leave as is

Thanks All

If you don't like yeast in your beer then filter it... :) No need for cutting diptubes & kegs can be transported anywhere, sediment free...

I prefer drinking clear beer (wheats & the like excepted). Yeast has an affect on flavour, so if you like it leave it in, otherwise remove it - I also like to know my beer is free of protien haze, which is not good for the long term health of your beer...

Cheers Ross

If you do have a shortened dip tube and want to lengthen it again, just find a bit of hose the right diameter and slip a few cm onto the end so it reaches to the bottom.

Whats a good method of filtering a beer?

its been covered over and over, do a search on filtering beer

Back