Dilution And Efficiency

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

citizensnips

Reaction score
Hi all brewed my first all grain today, pretty happy with all the results, everything went pretty well, asides from the mash out going a little to high that was about it. Anyway just took a gravity reading........did dr smurtos golden ale, was shooting for 1.046.......got 1.062 :rolleyes: To be honest, I'm not angry......I mean if anything I'm somewhat happy, but basically what or how do I work out the figures to dilute it to say 1.048 or there abouts?? it's meant to be a 16 litre batch. Don't really know how to go about doing that. And another thing, could anyone help me figure out my efficiency. Heres the recipe from beersmith with the efficiencies and so on, I was brewing biab in a 50litre keg. I was hoping I could somehow adjust my equipment set up in the program to get it a little more in tune with what's actually going on, if anyone could help that would be great.
Thanks

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 19.16 l
Post Boil Volume: 16.64 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 16.00 l
Bottling Volume: 15.00 l
Estimated OG: 1.046 SG
Estimated Color: 13.0 EBC
Estimated IBU: 28.2 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 72.0 %
Boil Time: 80 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
2.20 kg Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (3.3 EBC) Grain 1 64.7 %
0.80 kg Munich Malt (14.0 EBC) Grain 2 23.5 %
0.25 kg Wheat Malt, Bel (3.5 EBC) Grain 3 7.4 %
0.15 kg Caramunich Malt (90.0 EBC) Grain 4 4.4 %
10.00 g Amarillo [10.10 %] - Boil 70.0 min Hop 5 18.2 IBUs
0.25 Items Kopperfloc (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining 6 -
10.00 g Amarillo [10.10 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 7 6.4 IBUs
10.00 g Amarillo [10.10 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 8 3.5 IBUs
8.00 g Amarillo [10.10 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 9 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) Yeast 10 -

Mash Schedule: BIAB, Light Body
Total Grain Weight: 3.40 kg

2 things spring to mind.

- How many litres did you batch end up at.

- What temp did you take your hydro reading at.

Google search 'home brew diltution calculator' about 4th response down.

There is a dilution tool in beersmith, easy to use. Your hop schedule will be out a little though . Keep good records for your first brews, ie, volumes,gravities etc. I print out the brew steps and make notes as i go,luckily i keep them as i lost all my bs on my computer last week.
Once you have a couple of brews done you can work out boil off rate, trub and fermenter loss etc and set up your own rig in equipment profiles. Have a look at this first so you know what data to collect. It may seem a little daunting at first but it is pretty easy once youve had a go.
Gravity reading change with temp so let them come to room temp first.
Cheers
sean

Wow 98% eff

You've done something wrong in the measurements somewhere...

When did you measure the gravity? Pre-boil, post-boil, after cubing?
What vol?
What temp?

QldKev

Hi all brewed my first all grain today, pretty happy with all the results, everything went pretty well, asides from the mash out going a little to high that was about it. Anyway just took a gravity reading........did dr smurtos golden ale, was shooting for 1.046.......got 1.062 :rolleyes: To be honest, I'm not angry......I mean if anything I'm somewhat happy, but basically what or how do I work out the figures to dilute it to say 1.048 or there abouts?? it's meant to be a 16 litre batch. Don't really know how to go about doing that. And another thing, could anyone help me figure out my efficiency. Heres the recipe from beersmith with the efficiencies and so on, I was brewing biab in a 50litre keg. I was hoping I could somehow adjust my equipment set up in the program to get it a little more in tune with what's actually going on, if anyone could help that would be great.
Thanks

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 19.16 l
Post Boil Volume: 16.64 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 16.00 l
Bottling Volume: 15.00 l
Estimated OG: 1.046 SG
Estimated Color: 13.0 EBC
Estimated IBU: 28.2 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 72.0 %
Boil Time: 80 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
2.20 kg Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (3.3 EBC) Grain 1 64.7 %
0.80 kg Munich Malt (14.0 EBC) Grain 2 23.5 %
0.25 kg Wheat Malt, Bel (3.5 EBC) Grain 3 7.4 %
0.15 kg Caramunich Malt (90.0 EBC) Grain 4 4.4 %
10.00 g Amarillo [10.10 %] - Boil 70.0 min Hop 5 18.2 IBUs
0.25 Items Kopperfloc (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining 6 -
10.00 g Amarillo [10.10 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 7 6.4 IBUs
10.00 g Amarillo [10.10 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 8 3.5 IBUs
8.00 g Amarillo [10.10 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 9 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) Yeast 10 -

Mash Schedule: BIAB, Light Body
Total Grain Weight: 3.40 kg

Seems you got way better efficiency than you planned.
Download BrewMate which is great for Biab.
Assuming you actually have 16lt, you will need to add 4.5lt of cooled boiled water to get your gravity down from 1.062 to 1.048.
You will be watering down everything so this situation is far from ideal. Adjust that recipe for 80% next time & see if you get closer to expected gravity. To compensate for lost hop utilization, you can add 1g/lt of your Amarillo hops to your fermenter after the first week of fermentation in a hop tea or you could simply dry hop for 3 days. Dry hopping for any longer than 3 days results in a bit of grassiness in my opinion but that depends on the hop & AA%.
BrewMate is perfect for Biab & with the no chill option, it's hard to beat.

Dilution maths is pretty simple. If you have 14L of 1.062 and want x liters of 1.048 then:

You want 62/48ths of 14 ... which is 1.29 x 14 ... with is 18L.

So you need to add 4L

Thanks for all the replies. I took the gravity reading from the keg post boil after she had chilled at about 21 degrees.

Yeah I did a few and they were all the same, dilluted to 1.044....bit low but I needed the volume in the fermenter so the probe could be I'm contact with the wort, hopefully all is well now.
Thanks again for the help

Latest posts

Back