Diluting Wort

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kieren

Reaction score
I was wondering if there are any potential problems associated with diluting the wort after the boil with water (sterilzed of course).

I would like to do a do a double batch but my boil pot is only 50L, so the maximum I can boil with no risk of boil overs would be about 45L tops. End boil volume would then be 38-40L.

Could I brew a beer with a higher gravity then after the boil add say 10L of spring water? It would help with cooling the beer to a pitching temperature but would there be any bad side effects? More hops would be needed obviously due to the higher gravity(and hence utilization factor) of the wort.

Any thoughts?

Kieren

theres no problem to do that. what you need to do is have some brew software to help with the calculation have the wort size set to how much you boil but the batch size set to how much you top it up too. This should get you pretty close IBU calculations, beersmith and promash both have the features to do this.

Jayse

Thanks Jayse,

Just finished downloading the Promash demo, I'll have a little play with it.

Kieren

Kieren said:
I was wondering if there are any potential problems associated with diluting the wort after the boil with water (sterilzed of course).

I would like to do a do a double batch but my boil pot is only 50L, so the maximum I can boil with no risk of boil overs would be about 45L tops. End boil volume would then be 38-40L.

Could I brew a beer with a higher gravity then after the boil add say 10L of spring water? It would help with cooling the beer to a pitching temperature but would there be any bad side effects? More hops would be needed obviously due to the higher gravity(and hence utilization factor) of the wort.

Any thoughts?

Kieren
[post="92359"][/post]​
G'day Kieren, this is exactly how I have been brewing for many years. My pot is 50lts and I boil 42lts, after flame out I top up to the 42 lt mark from my hlt. My preboil gravity is also my post boil gravity. NB. I boil the water in the hlt first.
Regards, Razz :D

Latest posts

Back