Diluting The Wort

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djackal

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

For my latest brewing adventure Iwas thinking of making a midstrength beer similar to one I saw on the recipe page (Lite Pale Ale). I want to do a double batch and was thinking, what would be the outcome if I brew 35l of wort and then split into 2 fermenters, one with 20l wort & 5l tap water, one with 15l wort & 10l tap water. This will hopefully produce a beer around 4.3% and a beer around 3.5%. As I can not boil over 30l (after boil finishes) I was going to boil the extra 5l on the stove and then combine all in the fermenter with some 2L ice blocks that I have in the freezer.

Has anyone tried a technique like this and does it just make the beer taste watery? Any suggestions as to how I could improve texture and flavour of the beer by using a technique like this (extra hops?).

Cheers
Carl

Hi Guys,

For my latest brewing adventure Iwas thinking of making a midstrength beer similar to one I saw on the recipe page (Lite Pale Ale). I want to do a double batch and was thinking, what would be the outcome if I brew 35l of wort and then split into 2 fermenters, one with 20l wort & 5l tap water, one with 15l wort & 10l tap water. This will hopefully produce a beer around 4.3% and a beer around 3.5%. As I can not boil over 30l (after boil finishes) I was going to boil the extra 5l on the stove and then combine all in the fermenter with some 2L ice blocks that I have in the freezer.

Has anyone tried a technique like this and does it just make the beer taste watery? Any suggestions as to how I could improve texture and flavour of the beer by using a technique like this (extra hops?).

Cheers
Carl

I do something similar but I add extract as well as the water so it doesn't make the beer watery.

Back