Digital Thermometer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wedge

Reaction score
hey all,
looking to buy a d.therm.. sny ideas. will pay extra now to save later what are your ideas?

wedge
:chug:

Come to the skunk fart brewery one day Wedge and see digital temperature control at its best.
Mine are worth a fortune though so I could'nt offer any addvice on any availible through retail but might beable to get one made for a reasonable price.
These are fully adjustable digital thermostats which can control anything you like.
I use one for the H.L.T and one for a H.E.R.M.S type system pump.
Also have another one which will do the cool room when she's finished.

Cheers Jayse in temp control heaven.

:angry: Oh no :blink:
Now I gotts have one of them :p

wedge in Fulham Gardens !
Just around the corner from where I used to live , see you when I visit my old ma next !

Tandy sell a digital thermometer with a probe on the end of a long thin wire

I can tell the temp of my mash without opening my mashtun, absolutely wonderful!

ditto for a fermenter, sanitise the probe, drop it in the fermenter, see the temp inside the fermenting wort!

costs about $40

Jovial Monk

Jovial, do you have a link or perhaps a Tandy part number ... I went into tandy's and they had bugger all, only some ear thermometers or something ....

I'm building one of these suckers for my freezer but I am not sure about one for the mash .....

Nah neither of those

Just look in another Tandy shop

One at Marion Westfield had one, so they do stock them

Jovial Monk

Jaycar have a number of digital thermometers. One with a s/s probes on a 1m wire for about $40 but the body of the thermometer is designed to be mounted in a panel (so you may need a little box for it), has an alarm for when the temp changes below/above a set value. Quite large display. They also have indoor out door thermometers with a probe on a wire but be aware that the maximum temp readings that they take are about 50oC but would be good for a fridge. Have a look at their online catalogue. These are cheapish alternatives.

Also Dick Smith has a couple. One that I may get has a 4-5" probe and the face with display can move through 90 degrees (the angle!!), has a range up to 150oC for about $25. I like this idea for my elevated mash tun because I can angle the thermometer down so it is easier to read from the ground.

But I don't have any ideas for midrange priced thermometers. Although I have discussed with another bloke of getting one for about $50 with s/s probe but I forget where now?? sorry.

Cheers, JD

Try popping in to an aquarium shop, or maybe hydroponics shop, the bigger ones that dont inflate costs. I have two digital thermometers, probe on 1 m of wire, seem quite accurate, cant remember cost exactly but certainly less than $40, although I found it much cheaper in one aquarium shop than in another.

Thanks for that, can't find the tandy one but I found the Jaycar one. Looks pretty good for $40, will have to get on in the new year :D will be nice to not stuff about with the glass thermometer in the mash tun.

Wedge, there is a place called Temperature Technology in Gilbert St. Adelaide.
They sell a probe, part no. N597. It is $27.00 and is rated from -50C to 150C.
Hope this helps.

Cheers and bollocks
TDA

Sorry couldn't help myself.
You won't get one of these at tandy's.

Jayse

TEMP_C.JPG

thats awesome jayse, perhaps just a tad (wink) too big.

Going to your shop tda will advise!

Wedge

Ok i bought it today, about $60, chrissy present from the folks.

Does everything, max/min temp recorded/ timer / 2m probe / -50 -> +250oC
Alarms :eek:

I'm happy

Wedge

Hooray

I'm Krausen,........I feel so specially

Latest posts

Back