Digital Thermometer <- thermapen alternatives

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My new thermapen arrived today! 19 days after purchasing it on ebay.

It comes into its original box, brand new, with the instructions in english, spanish and other minor european languages, the calibration certificate and a small guide to "cooking with your thermapen" including a handy temperature spreadsheet (laminated, water resistant) for different kinds of food. The envelope comes with an ETI tape, it works, all good.

I'll make some tests later comparing with my glass thermometer and the Inkbird temperature controller probe.
The only thing is, it comes with a sticker: "ºC Only. Not suitable for the US market". To be honest I couldn't care less. :p

I'm half way of my last batch (Zombie Dust inspired IPA), I have another one conditioning (a simple Saison, I still have to wait at least 1 more week), so I ran out of bottles... As soon as I have enough bottles again I will make my new recipe, an American Pale Ale superhoppy-extra-crisp, so I'll use the thermapen and tell you how it goes.
Also I will use for the first time my new fermentation fridge and controller!

Yesterday I did a test in a bottle with tap water.

After a while both the crystal thermometer and the Inkbird Temp Controller (with the short submergible probe) gave 24.3ºC, well, into the crystal one it is difficult to read that precision, but it was a little over 24ºC and the thermapen gave me... 24.0ºC

So which one is the good one?!

I am happy that the three of them were so close, I think that's more than enough precision for me right now. So far so good.

I plan on brewing this weekend or the next one I will tell you how the thermapen "improves" my brewday!

Bringing back this old thread, anyone seen a good long thermometer, 40cm+? It'd be nice to reach to the bottom of the mash tun, or low water levels in the keggle without steam burns.

There's the ThermoWorks RT610B-24 which looks pretty good though a bit slow, but it's out of stock and about $50US shipping...

I made up half a dozen 500mm long stainless sensors for an STC 1000.
Welded the tip closed and sealed the sensor wire in with heat shrink.
Got a couple left over if you want one you can have it for $25 + postage.
Mark
500 mm STC.jpg

Resurrecting an old thread.
Looking for a thermapen or lavatools javelin pro, is it just my bad searching or are the prices just high at the moment, cant find one anywhere near a decent price compared to a year ago.
If you can link me one it would be much appreciated.

On a side note what do people think of the inkbird foldable option for $20, seems ok spec wise but not sure of longevity.

I've had one of the Inkbird foldable thermometers for quite a while.
Dropped it a couple of times and still working well.

The specs look really good on the inkbird just not sure about the longevity of it, would be great for some feedback from people who have one.
At $20 its a good spare anyway

I have been looking at them, are they accurate, says within 1 degree C so its close enough.

Well my certified thermometer only goes 20 to 40C and at that range it's almost spot on.
It also seems to agree with other higher temp thermometers I have, but they are not certified

Latest posts

Back