Digital Thermometer Recommendations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shacked

I like beer
Reaction score
Did a partial mash this weekend and tried to use a digital wireless meat thermometer to monitor temperature. It was terrible, giving all sorts of strange readings. I was able to hit my OG but didn't really get a feel for temperature loss during the mash.

Can anyone recommend a good digital thermometer set up? I've just ordered a crown urn to move to AG BIAB.

I have a bunch of these (the second one in the list, $10ish). They're not perfect, a little slow to read, and often a degree or so out in boiling water.... but they work really well for the price.
http://www.wiltronics.com.au/catalogue/201358/science/thermometers/digital-thermometers

I've since upgraded to a Thermapen - got one that was mentioned on here from a UK ebay seller with weird ugly BBQ printing on it - but it was a super bargain for $65 delivered...
Same seller now sells Tartan ones!
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Limited-Edition-Tartan-Superfast-Thermapen-Digital-Food-Thermometer-/291294710492?pt=UK_Kitchen_Accessories&hash=item43d2848adc

Got the same ugly bbq print thermapen. It's pretty quick to respond to changes in temperature. Tried cooking with it and it's been great!

a long term option or short term - if you are not doing it already would be to buy an old fridge from the tip shop or somewhere, a heater belt and a temp controller off fleabay, i have two fridges that are temp controlled for fermenting and i nick the temp controller units for mashing, they have a 4-5" stainless probe they are $70

i plug the fowlers vacola heating element into the temp controller and set the temp to whatever, it turns on when it wants to keep the temp steady at the set temp

just something to consider if you were to end up spending a bit of coin on just a thermometer

ps
i think i got out of it for around $120 per fridge, 70 temp cont, 20 heater belt, 20-30 tip shop fridge

Hanna digital thermometer.

I got sick of the inaccuracy and lag of cheap shitters, bought a Hanna on the recommendation of another AHB member and have been super happy with it since.

It's great for quickly and accurately measuring temps of liquids.

My cheapo one died a couple of weeks ago and am have bought one of the thermo pens, they seem well regarded in the serious foodie scene.

In the interim I have been using my stc 1000 which is kind of handy, especially for the mash as I can just leave the esky lid closed and still moniter the temperature.

stumbled onto this one HERE Ive sent an email asking for some further clarification on accuracy (+/-) and if the probe can be immersed.

Im thinking of it as a calibration unit only

shacked said:
Did a partial mash this weekend and tried to use a digital wireless meat thermometer to monitor temperature.
I got one for Christmas, same as this one here: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/like/261371776632?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=107&chn=ps
Awesome little unit. I have my [controller] temp probe on the HERMS so the mash liquor tends to lag a bit. I drop the meat cooker probe in the water, put the receiver in my pocket and wander around the house until I see it's hit strike temp. Accurate and very handy.

Yob said:
stumbled onto this one HERE Ive sent an email asking for some further clarification on accuracy (+/-) and if the probe can be immersed.

Normally with those BBQ metal probes you can't get water where the cable crimp is. If you get water inside, it's shot. And they can't seal it and have it work at BBQ temps

http://www.maverickhousewares.com/faqs.htm
What should I do to prolong the use of the probes?

Tin foil can be wrapped around the probe wire to shield it from some of the heat or flare-ups that can occur. It is also important to never submerge your probe or probe wire in water. The water could get into the internal wiring and short out the probe. Also clean your probe with a damp paper towel only after it’s cooled down.

Stux said:
Normally with those BBQ metal probes you can't get water where the cable crimp is. If you get water inside, it's shot. And they can't seal it and have it work at BBQ temps
Could you just fill the top with silicone if you weren't going to use it for BBQ?

I've used various thermometers over the years and wish I'd just bought a Thermapen from the start. I have one now and it's the best.

+1 for the thermapen.

$65 delivered from eBay

Yob said:

I went through about 3 or 4 goes of a similar unit, though mine were bought from Bunnings, and branded by one of their main BBQ brand lines. The lady at the returns desk at Bunnings was sick of me by the end of it.

They don't even work in the oven.

They DEFINITELY don't work for liquids... as Stux said, any liquid up near the crimp and the things cactus.

The real kicker though, was that even after I stopped using them for beer, I thought "well the wireless receiver is super handy for lazy couch sitting me to keep an eye on dinner". But I never had one last more than 4 or 5 dinners - they just crap out and stop reading correctly - either sitting in a red hot oven reading 30C, or going on some kind of crazy thermal runaway the second they get about room temperature.

Cheers, I'm looking for a reliable calibration thermometer, rekon I'll go back to a lab grade alcohol type glass one.. Ive got one.... somewhere..

Ive not calibrated mt STC's / Dial MM Probe in some time and want to get them all done before my next brew/ferment

:icon_cheers:

Yob said:
Cheers, I'm looking for a reliable calibration thermometer, rekon I'll go back to a lab grade alcohol type glass one.. Ive got one.... somewhere..

Ive not calibrated mt STC's / Dial MM Probe in some time and want to get them all done before my next brew/ferment

:icon_cheers:
If you find it... looking for someone with a calibrated thermometer to check my glass alcohol one against. Figure I can use that to set my PID's / STC's / Dial's / BBQ stick... sheit there's too many thermometers lurking about.

Not everyone needs thermopen's, right?

Back