Digital Hydrometer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adz1179

Reaction score
this seemed really cool until i saw the price :angry:

SBS_3500.jpg

http://www.tequipment.net/SBS-3500.html?Source=Shopping

Wow that is awesome - but holy crap the price! :eek:

A bulk buy of 10 or more and each unit will come with a free bottle of air for calibration purposes.

Tests Lead Acid batteries :blink:

Probably the same as when the first digital watch came out.

Just wait 10 years or so and we'll all have one.

I suspect the number of digital watches required is a touch larger than the number of hydrometers required so it may not quite drop to a level where everyone will have one.

Would be nice if it came down to below $30.....

This is what most commercial brewers use, awesome and awesomely expensive

They arent exactly new; I have an old one that I picked up very second hand, the 4th decimal place is handy and the ATC but this one is so old (built 05/93) they dont support it any more.
I think the odds of the price coming down dramatically in the next few years are low.
Mark
View attachment 57234View attachment 57235

well its made for acid so I guess sticking a long tube into a battery is alot safer then tipping heaps of liquid out into the hydrometer tube to drop a hydrometer into lol

How do they work? Same as a normal one but with electronic position measurement, or some other effect?

Edit: ah, read it a bit more, "oscillating U-tube technology" sounds like it uses momentum of the fluid or something

Dry air is used as a calibration standard; I think Andrew was making a very subtle joke that demonstrates his familiarity with this type of device.
This type of density meter is described here in Wikipedia, you can see the u-tube in the picture I posted.
Mark

Wow. Thanks for explaining that...

This is what most commercial brewers use, awesome and awesomely expensive
Really? Cool...

I know for a fact that several breweries around the country use devices far less expensive than the one mentioned in the OP.

The company I work for sells these to breweries nation wide.

http://www.bellinghamandstanley.com/ltd/op...mmon_specs.html

I understand that it is a refractometer and not a hydrometer, so perhaps they have both devices.

I also have one of the above and it is marvellous!

Back