Digital hydrometer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D.Rae

Reaction score
Does anyone use a digital hydrometer?
I'm looking into fun gear for my brewing kit and I'm wondering if anyone uses one on the regular or can recommend a brand.

Ditto, well mine is branded Hanna but same unit made in Romania
It’s great for mashing and wort boiling; just make sure you understand how it behaves after the start of fermentation.
Mark
1631926368421.png

Hmmm, haven't considered a digital refractometer, is it worth the $$$$ do you think?

I use an Easydens. The price will probably put most people off but I have used it side by side with multiple of Anton Paar's much more expensive DMA 35 units on separate occasions and besides showing less decimal places (although it measures to 4 in SG), it was flawlessly accurate throughout triple brew days. Also, being able to use it as an alcohol meter for pure spirits is very handy if you do any distilling.
The other plus is that like a refractometer, you only need a very small (2ml) sample to to get a measurement, but unlike a refractometer, you dont need to consult any wort correction factor tables to get a true reading.
I am very happy I bought it, but I don't begrudge anybody who balks at the price.

Ditto, well mine is branded Hanna but same unit made in Romania
It’s great for mashing and wort boiling; just make sure you understand how it behaves after the start of fermentation.
Mark
View attachment 121196
MHB, I presume your unit model is not for seawater:barf: , and is in fact model HI 96841 for Beer? Are you happy with it, would buy that again if you needed to?

Last edited:
Yep and yep, didn’t look at the pick too closely, same chassis is used for a bunch of different models.
The Milwaukie is often a bit sharper price and as far as I can tell same unit from the same factory, so might be worth a look at.
This is my second one and if it dies there will be a third, probably the same make as yes, I am very happy with it.
Mark

Back