Different Style

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hamstringsally

Reaction score
ATM brewing a ale but with lager yeast and low ibu beer with mainly amerillo hops.

trying to be patient as possible and let them bottle condition for at least 4 weeks so thinking of brewing something else inbetween.

want something different to the style ive got but something everyone will like to drink. personally i love a beer round 45 to 50 ibus but alot of mates dont enjoy the hophead style unless they are a fellow brewer.

was thinking maybe a porter or german wheat style but thought ask some other brewers

any ideas?

cheers

hammo

Altbier... dark hoppy and german

Hoppy Wheat!

Go with a 50/50 Pale 2-row/Wheat mix, and add some crystal to darken it to your tastes, then throw in about 120 grams of Citra in the last 15 mins of the boil. No bittering hops. Just Citra in the last 15 mins. I made a beer like this, without the crystal, and it was great.

Cheers!

Simple low abv% british pale.

Ale Malt (Perle is cheap and good), a little cara/crystal to darken it. 97/3 split is about right IMO.

Willamette/Fuggles/EKG/Styrian Goldings at 60 minutes to 25 IBU (I have a freezer full of Willamette, so I use that)

Notto Yeast.

Mash at 68 degrees, and Notto will bring it down to about 1.018, given you lower alcohol (or alternatively, lower your mash temp and your OG).

Simple, quick (Notto is a hungry one) and good for those who don't like too much flavoursome beer.

Goomba

Made myself a hoppy saison not too long ago.

Single 10min (cube) addition to (from memory) 25ish IBU's since the yeast eats through anything thrown in its path and ends up being quite dry.

Similarly to above, I added a little crystal (maybe it was caraaroma on second thoughts) and used all citra.

Preeeeeetty delicious, and most of my mates really enjoyed it since the citra worked real nicely with the fruitiness of the 3711, without just tasting like a hophead IPA.

Sponge

Ross' NS Summer Ale (in the DB) or Tony's Summer Saison (best brewed in summer though).
Or a nice ESB.

Blonde ale or cream ale for your non brewing mates. Use the brews as a yeast starter for your hoppy pale ale.

Heads up, dark beers no matter how good will always put doubt in your mates mind before they taste if they are uneducated in craft beer. Especially something black like a porter. This can psychologically set the mood for their decision. It could be the best porter in the world, but hand it to someone who says "I don't like Guinness" (apparently all black beer tastes like Guinness to these uneducated proles) you'll have a hard time trying to turn around because realistically, they have decided they don't like it before they try it.

So hand them something that looks like what they normally drink and take small steps in introducing new flavours. They'll be brewing themselves imperial IPA's within a year or two.

Blonde ale or cream ale for your non brewing mates. Use the brews as a yeast starter for your hoppy pale ale.

Heads up, dark beers no matter how good will always put doubt in your mates mind before they taste if they are uneducated in craft beer. Especially something black like a porter. This can psychologically set the mood for their decision. It could be the best porter in the world, but hand it to someone who says "I don't like Guinness" (apparently all black beer tastes like Guinness to these uneducated proles) you'll have a hard time trying to turn around because realistically, they have decided they don't like it before they try it.

So hand them something that looks like what they normally drink and take small steps in introducing new flavours. They'll be brewing themselves imperial IPA's within a year or two.

good call jazza i totally agree re mates and porters ect

Back