Difference In Beer Taste With Kegging

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mchiu

Reaction score
Just wanted to know if any of you find a difference i taste between beer that has been force carbonated and beer that has been naturally conditioned.

Let me know. i find natural conditioning taking up to much time.... any suggestions will be appreciated.

Weizguy here.

Greetings and welcome to the group. I'm considered a newbie here, but still happy to share advice.

My advice is:

I hope U R not brewing with town water, are U? I hope there is no snickering in Adelaide either. U C, some Adelaide water made it into a vulnerable part of my digestive system and put me off beer (Yes!!) for a cuppla daze. Luv the city, tho.

Uncle Seth out

Well i only bottle so far and have made some really nice brews. If you have a lot of bottles you can get a good rotation system going and always have mature beer to imbibe.
I do know that I always liked Carlton draught a long time ago when i used to have a drink at the pub.

cheers
johnno

In my few months over here i've grown to love naturally carbonated beer. I still think compressed CO2 is a great method for dispensing beer, however I'm going to experiment a lot more with natural carbonation when I get back.

A while ago I tried a little experiment. I did two identical brews, primed one keg with brewing sugar and slow carbonated the other with CO2. I could not taste much of a difference. I just hook up the CO2 now and job done.

Kegging :D

BUT I am guesing that it does depend on the style as well.

I would say lagers would be better in the keg but ales and stouts could benifit from the bottle however this might not always be the case..

My theory is that its not the method of carbonating itself that makes the difference but the dispensing.
Pushing beer through a tap at pressure into a glass compared to pouring from a bottle is where the difference occurs... A bottle poured beer will not force as much CO2 out of solution nor create any sparkle... tap poured beer will have a finer bubble and thus a slightly creamier feel due to the opening and closing of the valve...

So Wax's experiment will show no noticeable difference as both were served through a tap....

Just a thought

Asher for now

thanks for all the reply...

just another quick question... what is the procedure most of you go through when kegging?

do you ferment the beer and let it stay in the fermenter an extra few days for it to clear then keg and gas? or do you rack it to another fermenter or cube and let it clear for a few days? or do you cold condition? which is a btetter way?

thanks!

mchiu - everyone is different however what I do is ferment it out, then rack to secondary and cold condition this for a few weeks (as long as I can, usually up to 2-4 weeks) then keg and gas this..

has worked for me so far :)

mchiu said:
do you ferment the beer and let it stay in the fermenter an extra few days for it to clear then keg and gas? or do you rack it to another fermenter or cube and let it clear for a few days? or do you cold condition? which is a btetter way?
I very rarely rack to secondary. I usually cool the primary to serving temperatures for a few days to settle out the yeast then transfer to keg. Since I usually have a bit more than a kegs worth, the first litre or so goes in to a bottle along with the first rush of yeast then the rest goes into the keg. Finally any leftovers go into bottles.

Cheers

Back