Difference Between Full, Medium And Light Beers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morebeer4me

Reaction score
Can anyone provide a link to a chart or table that would define what type of beer falls into which category?
Oh i have tried search feature a number of times :huh:

The ATO view of the matter is 0-3% low 3-3.5% Mid 3.5%+ Full.

Open to a lot of debate, but pretty important if you are ever paying excise, link above gives the ATO definition of beer to, might amuse some people.
Mark
View attachment 57502

You mean buy beer in bottles?

Right, on to that

Sorry gents, I was thinking about the the Body of the beer, not the alcohol content. When i build a recipe in Beersmith
in the Mash Schedule it lists the following, BIAB Full Body, BIAB Medium Body, BIAB Light or BIAB Pilsner. etc. Was trying to find out how to determine
what beers to use each mash type for ?

if you want a beer with a light body then use the light, and well the others explain them selfs. So all it means is a light body is mashed at a lower temp making the wort more fermentable then one with a higher temp.

You will notice in the gravity reading, Light say will finish at 1.008 and a full body will finish at say 1.014 with the same recipe and bill just by changing the mash temp.

As for what beers its up to you and what you want to brew the styles guide in beersmith will tell you a little or look up the bjcp guidelines will help you out if you want to brew to true style

if you want a beer with a light body then use the light, and well the others explain them selfs. So all it means is a light body is mashed at a lower temp making the wort more fermentable then one with a higher temp.

You will notice in the gravity reading, Light say will finish at 1.008 and a full body will finish at say 1.014 with the same recipe and bill just by changing the mash temp.

As for what beers its up to you and what you want to brew the styles guide in beersmith will tell you a little or look up the bjcp guidelines will help you out if you want to brew to true style

Thanks for that mate, it makes sense now.

Back