Didnt Like That Beer At All

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fergi

Reaction score
hi guys
well im sitting here typing this at the moment after cracking a bottle of my coopers pale ale ,i must say im really disheartened by this bottle.its about 18 days in the bottle and this is the 3rd bottle i have had over the last 4 days ,i was quite pleased with the other ones as they were very young in the bottle but this one tonight has left a sort of yeasty muddy taste and on drinking it after about the first 2 to 3 mouthfulls i thought it didnt quite taste up to the standard that i expected.maybe that bottle had a bit of contamination in it but i am pretty fussy with my bottles when i clean them straight after i use them then when i bottle i sterilise them properly and sterilise the caps and give the capper a sterilise as well,so i dont think i could do any more in that regard but after that bottle im really not happy.i had it in the fridge at about 8 degrees then i stuck it in the freezer for 30 mins as well i had my glass in the fridge so it should have been pretty right.really disapointed .well anyway ill have another tomorrow nite and see how that is,i should really have another one now but they are long necks and i still have the taste in my mouth after a half hour from the last one...DAM...DAM...DAM...DAM
CHEERS
FERGI

give coopers an email or phone call and tell them of your not so nice tasting.they may offer you a peace gift or like i did when in perth i took back a slab of james squire ipa to the bottlo i bought from and exchanged for another slab.this also tasted off so back i went and ended up walking away with a slab of little creatures pale ale.much better choice under the circumstances.

cheers
big d

WELL IT HAS GOT THE BETTER OF ME SO I WENT OUT TO THE FRIDGE AND CRACKED ANOTHER BOTTLE OF COOPERS PALE ALE,THIS ONE IS THE SAME I AM NOT LIKING WHAT I AM TASTING,I THINK IT MAY BE GETTING SOME FORM OF CONTANIMATION IN IT,AS I SAID IN MY LAST POST I AM WHAT I THINK IS PRETTY CAREFUL AND THIS LOOKS LIKE ITS TURNING INTO VINEGAR.WELL I GUESS ILL LEAVE IT FOR A COUPLE OF MORE DAYS UNTIL MY TASTE BUDS COME BACK TO NORMAL BUT IT ISNT LOOKING GOOD
CHEERS
FERGI

opps sorry fergi missed the bit about the bottle clean.
go back to the place of purchase and complain or as said earlier complain to coopers direct.if you have good practices then maybe it was a fault from manufacture to storage to point of sale.

cheers
big d

G'day fergi,

Can you tell me what you added to your kit?? I have one thats is about a week away.........I hope I am not dissapointed. :(

All the press on the kit has been good..........but then thats what you would expect to hear!

Cheers

Neat trick I found was that if I left the bottle in the fridge(upright) at serving temp for several days the taste improved.
Im getting the impression you are putting a bottle in your fridge in the morning, then moving it to the freezer for half an hour(is it being laid down in the freezer??) and THEN drinking it???
Well if its the case...DONT STIR THE MUD......that'll cause the yeasty/muddy flavour as the yeast is roused into the beer again.

fishard said:
All the press on the kit has been good..........but then thats what you would expect to hear!
I've made the Coopers Pale Ale kit a couple of times and have one kegged at the moment. I just used basic ingrediants, 250g DME, 250g malto-dextrin and 500g dextrose and it's fairly decent. It's better than your average megaswill at least.
Next time I'll drop the malto-dextrin and use more malt.

thanks guys for the comments,fishard i put in 500 g malt,250 dextrose,250 corn syrup.its not the fault of the coopers beer its a fault with contamination,i tried another one today and its quite gassy and has that off taste that makes your tongue tingle and gives you gas so its infected,funny thing was that 3 days ago when i tried it i thought it was going to be a really nice drop ,especially being so young but apparently the infection has taken over,still ill be able to tip them all out and have some spare bottles .what annoys me though is that i thought that i was very careful with my hygene so not sure where this could have come from
cheers
fergi

i have been very happy with the pale ale

i only use 500g light dry malt

docsfridge010.jpg

Back