Did your town make the top ten?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do people from bundy eat bucket loads of sugar, or is it all the rum and coke?

That's it. I'm moving to Bundaberg & training for The Biggest Loser.

Though the effort has been there gentlemen, I'm afraid genes have held me back. I'm one of those unlucky bastards who can't gain weight, seriously I have tried. I have doubled my beer intake over the last 12months and I still sit well well under 80kgs, no amount of cream, cheese, or chocolate has, been of benefit. In total desperation earlier this year I went on 'The Burger Diet' which consisted of 2 bacon and egg rolls for breakfast, a burger and chips for lunch, and a burger with the lot for dinner, plus snacks and beer, and ok the odd chocolate . Alas in a month I gained an entire kilo. Note extreme effort has been devoted to this task, and therefore I say the failure of my local community to rank in this event falls not on me but those around me!
Bet I came make 76kg by my 50th :ph34r:

Im the same as you MastersBrewery, but I wouldnt eat crap for the sake of trying to put on weight. No good for your heart, arteries, liver, kidneys etc.

If you want to bulk up, eat protein and carbs 5 times a day and lift weights. I went from 70 to 85kg this way.

Im not surprised by the list, I stopped at Maccas for breakfast in Kempsey driving up the coast last year. Walked in, saw the size of everyone in there, realized i was about the only normal sized person in there, lost my appetite and walked out in disgust.

I would have thought living out in the country with all of that open space people would excercise.

phoneyhuh said:
I would have thought living out in the country with all of that open space people would excercise.
On the contrary. It is well documented that levels of physical activity are considerably lower in rural area than they are in the city. There is a heap of public health research which has examined the reasons etc. If we looked at levels of depression amongst various Australian demographics I'd wager there'd be quite a few similarities in both lists.

Unfortunately our pollies are more concerned with buying votes with hospital beds than addressing the non-communicable disease epidemic which is going to cost us big time if it isn't addressed. Think we don't have enough hospital beds now, wait 10-15 years when all those obese 40 year olds with high blood pressure, high cholesterol and diabetes really hit their straps. There won't be a big enough carbon tax or mining tax to cover what it is going to cost.

End rant.

Being a former NSW mid-north coast kid I regularily refer to KFC as Kempsey Fat Children.

Good to see the research backs me up.

Parkes & Inverell Seriously???

I suppose farmers have a bit of weight on them but they work hard for it, mostly. Would never have guessed they would be up there though.

MastersBrewery said:
Though the effort has been there gentlemen, I'm afraid genes have held me back. I'm one of those unlucky bastards who can't gain weight, seriously I have tried. I have doubled my beer intake over the last 12months and I still sit well well under 80kgs, no amount of cream, cheese, or chocolate has, been of benefit. In total desperation earlier this year I went on 'The Burger Diet' which consisted of 2 bacon and egg rolls for breakfast, a burger and chips for lunch, and a burger with the lot for dinner, plus snacks and beer, and ok the odd chocolate . Alas in a month I gained an entire kilo. Note extreme effort has been devoted to this task, and therefore I say the failure of my local community to rank in this event falls not on me but those around me!

A kilo in a months pretty good. Continue that diet for just ten years and you'll put on 120 kilos!

WorkedForMePunkin

shaunous said:
Parkes & Inverell Seriously???

I suppose farmers have a bit of weight on them but they work hard for it, mostly. Would never have guessed they would be up there though.

Have you ever had a counter meal or Chinese feed in Parkes.

I've got photos on my phone i can't get off cause i'm too dumb of meals from Parkes, i often tell the story about the sizzling Mongolian Lamb coming out looking like a football on a plate. And shnitzels that you have to eat around to find the edges of the palte and then realise they are resting on enough chips to feed four ($12 meal).
The garlic bread at the pub we used to go to for tea when i was training people down there was a full tank High top in foil served piping hot on a cutting board with three different tubs of butter ($6).

I've eaten at a lot of places, but i've never seen any like Parkes.

edited for fruedian slip.

I've lived in the country all my life, and I would suggest it would be the town people, rather than farmers themselves that tend to carry a little extra. The reason, I believe, is that people in country towns have access to all the same fast food joints city people do, but not the public transport. In the country, you have to drive to get from A to B, due to distance, and lack of public transport. In the city, people are more inclined to walk/ride to work or the train station due to lack of parking and/or traffic congestion. Therefore, they're getting their half hour to an hour of exercise per day.

There are a lot of mining towns in that list. Lithgow, parkes, Broken Hill Cessnock, those QLD towns like bundaberg, Bowen there are mines nearby. Miners spend a lot of time driving machinery, no women around to make them eat sensibly.

Have to agree with JDW81, it would be really interesting to see what other things this research correlates to. ie depression and education levels.

punkin said:
Have you ever had a counter meal or Chinese feed in Parkes.

I've got photos on my phone i can't get off cause i'm too dumb of meals from Parkes, i often tell the story about the sizzling Mongolian Lamb coming out looking like a football on a plate. And shnitzels that you have to eat around to find the edges of the palte and then realise they are resting on enough chips to feed four ($12 meal).
The garlic bread at the pub we used to go to for tea when i was training people down there was a full tank High top in foil served piping hot on a cutting board with three different tubs of butter ($6).

I've eaten at a lot of places, but i've never seen any like Parkes.

edited for fruedian slip.
Road Trip???

MastersBrewery said:
LOL and how many of these meals and little meals were you having a day?

If you were snacking 5 or 6 times a day, there lies your biggest problem with not gaining weight. Your metabolism is way way too fast. Larger meals, less times a day, with no snacks but alcahol in between and you should eventually see it turn around :p

brente1982 said:
LOL and how many of these meals and little meals were you having a day?

If you were snacking 5 or 6 times a day, there lies your biggest problem with not gaining weight. Your metabolism is way way too fast. Larger meals, less times a day, with no snacks but alcahol in between and you should eventually see it turn around :p
Actually, the whole meal timing and metabolisim thing is pure bro science. Unless you drop into starvation mode, your metabolisim remains pretty much the same.
There's one time tested method for weightgain popularised by old school strength coaches to beef up skinny trainees called GOMAD.

Gallon
Of
Milk
A
Day.

Try guzzling about 3L of full cream milk on top of your regular diet. Every day. Chocolate milk works even better.
If you cant gain weight cramming in an extrs 1700 cals, 95 grams of fat and 140 grams of carbs, you should arrange to have your genes cloned and sold to peolpe in Bundaberg.

Its true. I used to work with a guy who developed an iced coffee addiction. He was drinking 4, 5 or 6 Dares a day. He packed on something like 20 kilos in the space of a few months. Cant be too healthy though :)

Back