Did The Washing Machine Kill My Brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Orangewhip

Reaction score
Hi all.As mentioned in my previous post I put down my third brew on Sun night. Anyway it was chugging nicely this morning in the laundry, problem is the wife has done three loads of washing today and I think the vibration from this has caused an eruption of my brew. I'll check with the hydrometer tomoz but will the excessive vibration and wild fermentation kill the brew?

Hi all.As mentioned in my previous post I put down my third brew on Sun night. Anyway it was chugging nicely this morning in the laundry, problem is the wife has done three loads of washing today and I think the vibration from this has caused an eruption of my brew. I'll check with the hydrometer tomoz but will the excessive vibration and wild fermentation kill the brew?

Are you saying you had it on the washing machine?

are you from adelaide by chance?

One of the reasons that yeast-starters are often put on a stir-plate is because the agitation caused by the stir-bar expels the CO2 and mixes the yeast in with the starter-beer - both (and constant oxygenation) help create more healthy yeast cells.

What has likely happened - if you left your beer fermenting on a running washing-machine - is that the agitation has helped expel the CO2 from solution (and perhaps mix up the yeast some) - resulting in an eruption caused by the CO2 de-gassing and perhaps also the yeast becoming more active at the same time.

Not on the washing machine but on the bench above it. How she didn't notice the beer running of the bench it until after the third wash amazes me, you gotta laugh I spose ha ha.

Basically, the washing mashine has actually helped ferment your beer....

Be interesting to find out if it has a lower SG than a nin washing machine beer..

MMmmm now THAT is a reason to brew 2 beers at once :super:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back