Did I kill my fridge?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan Dan

Reaction score
So it seems late last night I didn't shut my beer fridge door properly, and only found out this afternoon when I got a beer out. Didn't think much of it at the time, just closed the door and drank the beer at a not so ideal temperature. Just got another beer before, and realised I couldn't hear the compressor running, and the fridge didn't seem any colder. The freezer section is still frosty, but I guess that would be the case, considering it hadn't been opened. Did I kill it???? I hope not, I'll struggle to find another big fridge at the same price (free)! If I did, will the beer in my keg survive?

The overload in the compressor may have tripped, this will usually auto-reset after a while. Or depending on the design of the fridge, the evaporator in the freezer section may have frozen over, obstructing air flow, thus preventing the fridge half from cooling. Or the thermostat is iced up. Defrosting will fix those issues.

dent said:
The overload in the compressor may have tripped, this will usually auto-reset after a while. Or depending on the design of the fridge, the evaporator in the freezer section may have frozen over, obstructing air flow, thus preventing the fridge half from cooling. Or the thermostat is iced up. Defrosting will fix those issues.
That is just as scary as losing my fridge, because I will have to move all the beer upstairs, and then the minister will see how much I have been hoarding :(

Modern fridges are pretty robust.

If the freezer is still cold, ie everything is still frozen, then things are good.

Modern fridges draw cold air from the freezer down to the fridge area. If you left the fridge door open it means you allowed the fridge area to warm up. It will take a day or 2 for the fridge to cool down. Its all about efficiency. Fridges rely on you not opening it up. To make a fridge more efficient you should fill it up. An empty fridge full of water bottles will keep temp better than an empty fridge

Cheers guys. Stu, would you also recommend defrosting? As luck would have it, an old mate I haven't seen in 18 months is coming over tomorrow, so I best get some ice for the esky in the morning :/

Yep. Defrost if you can. BUT
beware of the fan in the back behind the freezer, it sucks aird own to the fridge. Very common for them to ice up and stop working. When they do your fridge acts like it is fucked

Hi-Jack

I have a fridge less than 2 years old. The freezer freezes perfect, the fridge works perfect straight after de-frosting, well for a week or so, then the fridge section slowly gets warmer and warmer until it sits at 12degree's and that's it, until I defrost again then the process happens again. This fridge is now sitting in my carport.

Ducatiboy stu said:
Yep. Defrost if you can. BUT
beware of the fan in the back behind the freezer, it sucks aird own to the fridge. Very common for them to ice up and stop working. When they do your fridge acts like it is fucked
This is what I believe mine is doing. Doesn't matter where I set the temps for it either. Originally you could hear the fan hitting ice, I defrosted and it's never been the same since, fan still runs now but plays up as said in my above post.

timmi9191 said:
Is that fully empty or partially empty full of water bottles?
Stop it. :D I see what you’re saying but ducatiboy stu does seem to know what he is talking about regarding fridges despite his poor choice in motorcycles. His advice helped me fix mine recently. ;)

edit: fix fridge not bike

shaunous said:
Hi-Jack
I have a fridge less than 2 years old. The freezer freezes perfect, the fridge works perfect straight after de-frosting, well for a week or so, then the fridge section slowly gets warmer and warmer until it sits at 12degree's and that's it, until I defrost again then the process happens again. This fridge is now sitting in my carport.
shaunous said:
This is what I believe mine is doing. Doesn't matter where I set the temps for it either. Originally you could hear the fan hitting ice, I defrosted and it's never been the same since, fan still runs now but plays up as said in my above post.
Anyone? Could the fan motor be fuked and not flowing air good enough, sounds like it's blowing though, but ice must be restricting it somehow as it works ok after a good defrost for a few days.

Well, the good news is the fridge is fine. Just to test it, my mate and I spent a good part of yesterday filling it, and then emptying it, one stubby at a time...

Back