Diastatic Lme

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
http://www.maltproducts.com/products.malt.html

I just found this product line. They have active LME and active DME. If a guy used this while steeping (at whatever required mash temp) non diastatic grains they would convert then...correct?

I just called the salesman and he says it's kind of an odd duck commercial baking product. Made to order only.

250L drum x 8 minimum.

For giggles he's going to sent me out a liter when he has a little extra. Fun! Experiment time!

He has another product for the baking industry called Grainulose. It's a sugar made with Wheat, Barley Oats, Corn and Rice. He's going to send that also. It sounds like it was custom made for brewing.

To the diastatic-LME and Grain sugar I will add water till my SG gets up to about 1.05 then see how much oats or rye I can convert.

I'm not quite sure about protein and the other rests needed.

I'll apologize early for picking the brains of you actual brewmasters for the theory I'm going to need to learn.

I don't get it? Why would you use it.

If you are only using steeping grains you don't need to convert sugars?

If you are trying to mash grains, just mash grains?

(not a dig, just not sure why it could be used)

edit: Maybe it could be good if you needed to convert adjuncts

If you are going to hold it at 66c for an hour to convert the adjunct, why not just mash grain?

If you are going to hold it at 66c for an hour to convert the adjunct, why not just mash grain?

Presumably if you're only set up for extract brewing and want to make an oatmeal stout or use polenta or use some biscuit malt or something, this stuff would be great.

Remind me not to try and help with responses for yankee doodle anymore. Did they reject you from the forums over there?

Presumably if you're only set up for extract brewing and want to make an oatmeal stout or use polenta or use some biscuit malt or something, this stuff would be great.

Yep, I though if you are going to mash the adjunct for the hour; but if you don't have a large pot and heat source then it is probably the go.

The ability to make adjuncts a major part of the brew. Nobody else has done it... As far as I know.

Big time breweries using large amounts of adjunct often use extra enzymes. I think there'd be a limit just like when your mashing, look for what its diastatic power is i guess.

Thing is though that diastatic power in malt extract will be all surplus - it doesn't need to convert itself.

Obviously doesn't mean that working out how much it is capable of converting is a bad idea.

Thing is though that diastatic power in malt extract will be all surplus - it doesn't need to convert itself.

Obviously doesn't mean that working out how much it is capable of converting is a bad idea.

Malt Syrup, Code #100HD - Medium Brown Color - 60Lintner (active enzymes)
This is a baking product. I am certain the malt profile wont be all that great. It could be crap. If it works out though, maybe a Coopers or Munton's would make kits out of it and expand this malters business. The Grain Sugar Product seems perfect for brewing.

Remind me not to try and help with responses for yankee doodle anymore. Did they reject you from the forums over there?

Oh come on..that was funny. I apologize for being sassy. No I haven't joined an American Homebrew forum. You folks are my first.

I like the yankee doodle thing. I can't stop whistling for some reason now

EDME

A name familiar to all Pom (and quite a few Aussie) home brewers. EDME yeast was a very popular yeast in Australia back in the days before Coopers got a go on, and they make some nice kits over there.

EDME stands for "Essex Diastatic Malt Extract" company. Diastatic liquid malt extract has been around in the UK for yonks, but not in Australia where our local manufacturers only do the non-D version. Particularly useful in commercial baking where the DME can convert flour and other starches into sweeter components "for free" depending on the recipe.

And yes it would make a rice lager or American cream wort (with polenta or flaked maize) standing on its head.

:beerbang:

This is a baking product. I am certain the malt profile wont be all that great. It could be crap. If it works out though, maybe a Coopers or Munton's would make kits out of it and expand this malters business. The Grain Sugar Product seems perfect for brewing.

Oh come on..that was funny. I apologize for being sassy. No I haven't joined an American Homebrew forum. You folks are my first.

I like the yankee doodle thing. I can't stop whistling for some reason now

I'll take back my comment about being kick'ed off the forums over there, sorry.

The Yankie doodle wasn't meant to be a dig, I thought it was better than saying no more help for the American, but from your response you don't take it in an offensive manner which is good.
It the same as we call English people poms or pommies. It's not to be rude (that I know off) it just a nickname.
West Australians are Sandgropers, and Queensland people Banana Benders, etc.

I'll take back my comment about being kick'ed off the forums over there, sorry.

The Yankie doodle wasn't meant to be a dig, I thought it was better than saying no more help for the American, but from your response you don't take it in an offensive manner which is good.
It the same as we call English people poms or pommies. It's not to be rude (that I know off) it just a nickname.
West Australians are Sandgropers, and Queensland people Banana Benders, etc.

Don't friggin apologize about the American forum comment. I'm not a pussy. Besides there was an opportunity there for me to flex my sarcasm muscle but I reeled myself back in. I now can not resist...

flashback into parallel reality said:
...You are my first. Now don't you feel specialer.

I truly feel nostalgic about Yankee Doodle. It's a badge of honor. I don't know how it could be received as offensive. So I say thank you

Yankee Doodle went to townA-riding on a pony,Stuck a feather in his capAnd called it macaroni'. Chorus:Yankee Doodle keep it up,Yankee Doodle dandy,Mind the music and the step,And with the girls be handy. Fath'r and I went down to camp,Along with Captain Gooding,And there we saw the men and boysAs thick as hasty pudding. Chorus And there we saw a thousand menAs rich as Squire David,And what they wasted every day,I wish it could be saved. Chorus The 'lasses they eat it every day,Would keep a house a winter;They have so much, that I'll be bound,They eat it when they've mind ter. Chorus And there I see a swamping gunLarge as a log of maple,Upon a deuced little cart,A load for father's cattle. Chorus And every time they shoot it off,It takes a horn of powder,and makes a noise like father's gun,Only a nation louder. Chorus I went as nigh to one myselfAs 'Siah's inderpinning;And father went as nigh again,I thought the deuce was in him. Chorus Cousin Simon grew so bold,I thought he would have cocked it;It scared me so I shrinked it offAnd hung by father's pocket. Chorus And Cap'n Davis had a gun,He kind of clapt his hand on'tAnd stuck a crooked stabbing ironUpon the little end on't Chorus And there I see a pumpkin shellAs big as mother's bason,And every time they touched it offThey scampered like the nation. Chorus I see a little barrel too,The heads were made of leather;They knocked on it with little clubsAnd called the folks together. Chorus And there was Cap'n Washington,And gentle folks about him;They say he's grown so 'tarnal proudHe will not ride without em'. Chorus He got him on his meeting clothes,Upon a slapping stallion;He sat the world along in rows,In hundreds and in millions. Chorus The flaming ribbons in his hat,They looked so tearing fine, ah,I wanted dreadfully to getTo give to my Jemima. Chorus I see another snarl of menA digging graves they told me,So 'tarnal long, so 'tarnal deep,They 'tended they should hold me. Chorus It scared me so, I hooked it off,Nor stopped, as I remember,Nor turned about till I got home,Locked up in mother's chamber. Chorus

if you were to use this malt for adjuncts would you not still need a filtering process like a biab bag or manfold etc? or do you just throw the coverted adjuncts straight into the fermenter? only other question is how do you kep the enzymes from denaturing. i thought once activated they keep on going temp regardless untill they unwind themselves just slower or faster in warmer or colder temps, therefore an extract thats been on the shelf for a while would either have no diastatic power left or would make an extremely dry beer or both?

I don't know what I'm going to do. If I had refractometer I could do very small experiments. Is that $25 cheapo on ebay ok?

EDME

A name familiar to all Pom (and quite a few Aussie) home brewers. EDME yeast was a very popular yeast in Australia back in the days before Coopers got a go on, and they make some nice kits over there.

EDME stands for "Essex Diastatic Malt Extract" company. Diastatic liquid malt extract has been around in the UK for yonks, but not in Australia where our local manufacturers only do the non-D version. Particularly useful in commercial baking where the DME can convert flour and other starches into sweeter components "for free" depending on the recipe.

And yes it would make a rice lager or American cream wort (with polenta or flaked maize) standing on its head.

:beerbang:
I am now slightly smarter.

cheers

I use the cheap ebay ones. I find them fine they check out with my hydrometer and with the refractometer calculators. Only thing I find you have to calibrate it with water each time you use it. I guess this maybe to do with the heat of the device??? so if one day the refracto is cooler it will be different to when its hotter?? not sure but I just adjust it with water before use and its always been spot on

Also if you get one with an sg and brix scale double check it with beersmith or another brix/sg converter as I believe most of them are a bit out of whack on the sg scale for higher gravities (maybe have been fixed by now but probably not).

Back