Dial Thermometer In My Kettle

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hellbent

Reaction score
I would like somehow to put a Bi Metal dial thermometer ( as seen in CB site) as a permanent fixture in my kettle. As I BIAB my main concern is that the 3" probe would cause a problem with my Grain Bag. is there a remedy for this?? Or is there a dial thermometer, that with fittings, I could fit between the kettle and the Ball Valve? Would I get an accurate reading from something like that?? :unsure:
Anyone got any ideas??? Are these dial thermometers very accurate? Thanks for any input guys.

I would like somehow to put a Bi Metal dial thermometer ( as seen in CB site) as a permanent fixture in my kettle. As I BIAB my main concern is that the 3" probe would cause a problem with my Grain Bag. is there a remedy for this?? Or is there a dial thermometer, that with fittings, I could fit between the kettle and the Ball Valve? Would I get an accurate reading from something like that?? :unsure:
Anyone got any ideas??? Are these dial thermometers very accurate? Thanks for any input guys.
If you mount the thermometer quite low and use a cake rack to keep your grain bag off the bottom of the vessel, you shouldn't have a problem
I'd mount it above or beside the ball valve, not beneath it as you'd pick up heat readings from the base of the pot, not the wort temp
most of the bi-metal thermometers from the site sponsors have adjustment screws so you can calibrate the thermo

If you mount the thermometer quite low and use a cake rack to keep your grain bag off the bottom of the vessel, you shouldn't have a problem
Thanks Sp0rk for your suggestion. A great idea the Cake rack but as most cake racks only have a ground clearance of approx 30-35mm I'm wondering if that would be far enough off the bottom so as not to pick up the heat readings from the base of the pot, still it's worth a try, Thanks again.
Al

You can raise the height of a cake rack using s/s bolts as legs

I've got a cake rack with some fairly long legs, came with my convection oven so you can do dual level roasting
will take a pic when i get home from work

Back