Dial Thermometer In Mash Tun Esky

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fergi

Reaction score
since upscaling my brewery i am now using a 53 liter igloo esky"mash tun", instead of 28 liter one.
i am wanting to put one of the large dial thermometer into it so i can keep an eye on my mash temp.
how do you guys go about fitting one of these into the plastic,

i know you can buy a plastic fitting for them but at 35 dollars or so there must be a more economical way to fit one in, anyone got a novel way to fit one,without leaking.

also does anyone have one of those 2400 watt heat sticks fitted as well.
fergi

I am not sure what you mean by plastic fitting for them but....

It is as simple as buying a weldless one, for example the Mash Master, long thread one, drill a hole and screw it up. Sorted. - edit: Just dont do them up too tight is the trick!

An element in you tun is great for heating strike water directly in the tun, also get the tun itself up to temp, so give a more stable temp during mash.. I do exactly that but with an over the side element, obviously hanging from a cross bar so not to touch the sides of the plastic. I don't think I have ever seen an element with a thread long enough to mount in an eski without have to do a lot of farking around with fittings and adapters etc.... but if you mean actual 'fitting' it as a permanent thing, I would say, bad call and could/would most possibly scorch your grain too...

2c.

Cheers

is your plug plastic or weldless?

Stainless, the long threaded type, with a Silicon O-Ring to create a seal.... of course! ;)

As I said above, do not over tighten!

I feel dial thermometers are a waste of time in a tun unless you have a recirculating system like a HERMS. Reason is the grain bed will have hot and cool spots and the thermometer (as well as actually physically drawing heat) may give you a false reading. Much better with a reliable glass stick thermometer, taking several readings at different places in the mash.

Anyway if you really want to, the weldless as suggested with locknuts and thread tape is the way to do it.

As for the element - I asked Ross about the possibility of installing one in an esky a while back and he suggested it wasn't feasible. The weight of grain, the fact that the grain directly on it will burn etc. I use an over the side in my mash tun to step mash but it is constantly moving. Grain doesn't scorch that way but if I leave it stationary for longer than 30 seconds, it will.

Might look good but on a practical level, not so good.

I feel dial thermometers are a waste of time in a tun unless you have a recirculating system like a HERMS. Reason is the grain bed will have hot and cool spots and the thermometer (as well as actually physically drawing heat) may give you a false reading. Much better with a reliable glass stick thermometer, taking several readings at different places in the mash.

Anyway if you really want to, the weldless as suggested with locknuts and thread tape is the way to do it.

Last point first, 100% - Thread tape on any weldless fitting, too much is probably about right!

Dial thermometers, I would have to disagree a little. Agreed the mash will have varying temps across certain areas, but I only believe my dial therm after a very thorough stir, in particular around the probe. I also have a stick probe therm and have stuck in the top of the mash to double check things a few times and have never been more than .25-.5 of a degrees out - again after a stir, I trust my dial therm enough to endorse them. MO.

Manticle are you saying you take multiple reading from different areas of the mash, find different temps and then what, average it?

Not being smart, just interested in you opinion of Dials not being good for a non recirculated mash.... 3rd time - stirring is key in trusting them IMO.

Cheers

The key issue is not measuring the exact absolute temperature but measuring any change in temperature over the course of the mash. I do measure the absolute temperature at the start of the mash but then keep an eye on the change in temperature using the dial thermometer. This is all you really need.

5 eyes

Last point first, 100% - Thread tape on any weldless fitting, too much is probably about right!

Dial thermometers, I would have to disagree a little. Agreed the mash will have varying temps across certain areas, but I only believe my dial therm after a very thorough stir, in particular around the probe. I also have a stick probe therm and have stuck in the top of the mash to double check things a few times and have never been more than .25-.5 of a degrees out - again after a stir, I trust my dial therm enough to endorse them. MO.

Manticle are you saying you take multiple reading from different areas of the mash, find different temps and then what, average it?

Not being smart, just interested in you opinion of Dials not being good for a non recirculated mash.... 3rd time - stirring is key in trusting them IMO.

Cheers

Cheers

I used to find various points, stir a bit, then average.

Now I step mash almost everything and even if I single infuse, I dough in under and raise temp with the immersion element which stirs and heats at the same time. Still take temp from various points but I can get a more uniform mash.

Yes, you are right - if you stir enough, you can get an accurate reading - which I guess is similar to the recirc thing. I found when I installed a dial therm on my old esky tun, that the reading was right out when mashing (fine when filled with hot water, calibrated with three other thermometers etc). One of the problems is that the stem actually draws heat out.

Can be done for sure and you obviously have done it and report success. For me though, it's not worth the money or time, despite the steampunk look.

I throw a digital thermometer module in mine. Much cheaper than a dial (~$10 delivered), easier to read. The wire to the probe is narrow enough that it sneaks past the esky lid without causing a leak, you can bury it where you like and you don't have to drill holes everywhere.

I'm sure plenty of people that have forked out for dials will disagree, but it works very nicely for me. Worth considering.

Back