Diacetyl rest not working

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

detunednath

Reaction score
Argh! Diacetyl rest @ 18°C on an American adjunct lager. First lager & the butterscotch from diacetyl is bad. Not going away after 4 days @ 18°C. PLEASE HELP!
Anything I can do at this stage?

Firstly patience. Wait and see how it is in another 4-5 days.
Secondly get some more lager yeast, make an active malt starter and add it in. Active yeast will absorb non-bacterial diacetyl.

you can leave it, whats the gravity ?

if there is still some sugarz left some saison yeast at 30

Possibly. Raise the temperature to around 22C and rouse the yeast. Second is to pitch fresh yeast and some more fermentables, I suggest sugar boiled in water and cooled or maybe some compatible fresh wort from your next batch.

There is more than pathway to diacetyl although fermentation is the major one. If you fermented too cool the yeast will produce more diacetyl than can be absorbed later in the fermentation cycle. You need to supply more details on your procedure

10C sounds about right. You should raise for the diacetyl rest before fermentation is finished, I suggest as soon as the krausen starts to fall allow a free rise to 20C and hold until the krausen has completely dissipated. Then drop back to 10C followed by a 1C drop per day until you get to 3C. Hold for a few days before crashing to between 0C to 1C and holding for one full week.

Ok. I'm learning the hard (or buttescotchy) way on this one. Missed the optimal time to raise to diacetyl rest temp. Will raise up to 22 for a couple of days and see how it goes.

Adequately oxygenated wort pre-pitching is a better method for diacetyl control. next time.

How warm was the wort during the lag phase? If too warm, this can contribute towards diacetyl precursors such as alpha acetolactate. Raising the temp BEFORE the end of fermentation back to around the same temp as at lag phase will help reduce them

I tend to warm my lagers/pils back up when around at 1.014 to about 20-22c for 48 hours, then back in the fridge and reduce by 2c per 12 hours or there abouts until back to 10-12c. Then when fermentation fully complete, drop 2c/12hrs to 2c. Cold crashing does not give the lager yeast time to get used to the colder environment, you still want the lager yeast working very very slowly at 2c cleaning up the last of its own residual compounds.

Back