Diacetyl Rest After Quick Ferment

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deebee

The Bludgeon Brewery
Reaction score
My first attempt at temperature-controlled lager brewing was a Vienna lager with an OG of 1054. It has taken only 6 days to drop to 1020, much quicker than I expected. The gravity sample tastes quite dry, if a little sulphurous. I am using WLP838 Southern German lager yeast.

Even though it is about a week before I expected it, is this the time for a diacetyl rest?

And is 48 hours at 20*C the go?

Thanks.

I think I would do the diacetyl rest now, maybe a bit longer than 2 days, try at least three

Jovial Monk

I'm with the monk, 3-4 days would probably do it... then down to around 0-3C to start your lagering period. 6 days is bloody quick, I thought a yeast like that would like to be around 10-12C... what temp did you have it, and you sure that your fridge temp is accurate? Sulphur/dry taste is typical for any lager. 20-22C is fine for diacetyl.

Frig temp was accurate. Pitched at about 15 or 16*C. Might have taken a few days to get down to 10*C. Bubbling was very active first few days.

I will try to get it colder before pitching next time.

Well, some parts of the world say that starting it at room temp until it starts holding pressure (should be a tad before bubbling), then bring it down about 1C every 12 hours or so down to the ideal operating conditions for the yeast (check Whitelabs). Others say whack it straight down to ferm temps, others say cold pitch it, have the yeast starter around 5C then let it 'warm' up to ferm temps. Either way, 6 days is bloody quick... I'd be checking your hydro (remember, it's colder, so it will be lower than it actually is)... maybe it's actually around 1030, or maybe your hydro isn't accurate.

Latest posts

Back