Diacetyl After Cc

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diesel80

Reaction score
Hi,

I am having some issues with the Diacetyl monster.

I have 2x 'Lagers' fermented and in the fridge CC.
Both were brewed with W34/70 and both were pitched cold @ 12 degrees.

I used rehydrated dry yeast and 2 packs for each brew.

One brew was 1.042 SG and the other was 1.052 IIRC.

The higher gravity brew showed up diacetyl in tasting after 7 days fermenting, then it was gone at 12 days. I raised temp for a D-rest and then lowered to CC a few days later.
This brew 8 days on tastes and smells like diacetyl again! Wtf?

The lower gravity brew, in the same fridge never showed signs of diacetyl until after 8 days in CC.

Both brews definitely smell of butterscotch and both taste like it too, mixed with hops.

How can i go about healing these brews?

I was thinking of Naturally carbing them in kegs, this would mean the temp would raise up to a level that would suit yeast for clearing things up.
Would this be a good option or is there a better option?

Currently fridge is at 4-6 degrees and the beers are still in primary fermenter. Approaching 3.5 weeks.

Cheers,
D80

Probably a bit of oxidation bringing out the D

The natural ferment in the keg is probably a pretty good plan - I know its counter to a lot of what you want from a CC step, but make sure its not too clear when you transfer it to keg, you need some yeast to do the trick.

In fact I'd be perhaps inclined to get the extract you need to carbonate, by krausening those kegs - healither, more active new yeast should do a better job.

Although - you are still in primary, you could just raise the temp again and maybe stir up the yeast a little... might do the trick.

I had 1 60ltr batch (3 cubes so different ferment regime) of a boh pil, and no matter what I did I could not get rid of the D (I have brewed about 10 darker lagers post this brew without any issue). To help me sleep at night I convinced my self it was a brewing issue, I brewed these pre the use of brewing salts, I didn't do a a mash acid rest etc.. I have not tried another boh pil to see I have overcome the issue.

i had the same issue but i bottled mine and it went away after a month in the bottle.

Right,

I reckon i will Keg them and leave them in the corner for a month or so.

Hopefully they come good as craigos did.

TB, will be sure to swirl up the fermenter during racking to load up enough yeast.
MX, acid rest, brewing salts? I aint there yet :)

Will it matter that my beer may be hitting temps of 25 degrees with a lager yeast?
Is it enough of a concern flavour wise? I imagine not, considering there is not much sugars to ferment in there.

I will have to give the yeast enough time to clear the off flavours up anyhow.

Fingers crossed.

Cheers,
D80

Right,

Will it matter that my beer may be hitting temps of 25 degrees with a lager yeast?
Is it enough of a concern flavour wise? I imagine not, considering there is not much sugars to ferment in there.

D80

Not only does it matter, its probably the reason you have diacetyl in the first place.

Not only does it matter, its probably the reason you have diacetyl in the first place.

the fact that once he kegs the beer it may get as warm as 25d after a temp controlled ferment may be the cause of the diaectyl? yeast that sees into the future, i want some so i can ask if the world truly is gonna end in december!

Update on this Experiment to try and eliminate butterscotchness with Naturally carbing the brew.

The result was a FAiL.

I kegged and Naturally carbed the brew for 2 weeks at 'room temp' 18-20 degrees in a fridge.

Gave it another week before CC the kegs and transferring to the kegerator.

I have since connected up gas and have sampled some of the beer. Definately butterscotch and undeniably so.
Not slimy or buttery feeling though. Despite increasing gas pressure to the keg the beer still feels like an ale.

Not to worry. I will try another yeast next time.

I have a mate that reckons he loves butterscotch, i told him i have about 35L left of butterscotch beer and he nearly fainted.
At least i have found someone to drink the beer, now i can concentrate on knocking up another of each of my 3rd and 6th BIAB receipes. They were magnificent (in my mind).

Cheers,
D80

Back