Devastated!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chiro

Reaction score
We got a new fridge for the kitchen. The old one still worked so I set it up with a STC1000. Fermented 2 brews in at at once. Went perfectly. Thought I'd try the crash cooling procedure since they were finished fermenting. So down to 2 degrees. Has been good for 3 days at this temp. Checked temp controller this morning and it said 7.8 degrees???? Couldn't hear the motor going. So I unplugged the fridge from the temp controller an put it in the power point only to hear the motor kick on for a second then switch off. By unplugging it repeatedly it does this.

So is the old fridge buggered or do you think I should get someone to look at it? I'm so disappointed :(

Looks like you got a new fridge just in time.

Very difficult to diagnose the problem over the internet. If the compressor is running and stopping could be the thermostat.
Knowing the cost of tradesman maybe you know somebody who can take a look on the cheap.

Fridges are pretty easy and cheap to pick up. I wouldn't bother trying to get it fixed.

Where are you measuring the temp? Air temp or attached to fermenter or in bottle of water or some other way?
The reason I ask is to do with my next question.
Is the old fridge a Frost Free model? To be frost free it will be turning itself 'off' each day at approx the same time to ensure any frost/ice in the freezer section defrosts and runs away. During this time the temp in the fridge section can rise significantly so if you are measuring air temp it can certainly get up to 7 or 8 degrees and possibly higher.
Your higher volume of beer shouldn't rise that much though.
Nige

If it's not a frost free then it's probably stuffed :lol:

Where are you measuring the temp? Air temp or attached to fermenter or in bottle of water or some other way?
The reason I ask is to do with my next question.
Is the old fridge a Frost Free model? To be frost free it will be turning itself 'off' each day at approx the same time to ensure any frost/ice in the freezer section defrosts and runs away. During this time the temp in the fridge section can rise significantly so if you are measuring air temp it can certainly get up to 7 or 8 degrees and possibly higher.
Your higher volume of beer shouldn't rise that much though.
Nige

If it's not a frost free then it's probably stuffed :lol:

No it's not a frost free. Measuring temp with sensor taped to the side of fermenter. May be buggered.

Looks like you got a new fridge just in time.

Very difficult to diagnose the problem over the internet. If the compressor is running and stopping could be the thermostat.
Knowing the cost of tradesman maybe you know somebody who can take a look on the cheap.

Yeah probably cheaper to get a new fridge, maybe a bar fridge size just for fermenting.Probably cost $100 to get someone to look at it.

Since your using a stc-1000, you could try bypassing the thermostat before chucking it.

QldKev

Since your using a stc-1000, you could try bypassing the thermostat before chucking it.

QldKev

No idea how to do that. Might have a chat to the live linesman that wired my STC up. He might know.

Cheers

No idea how to do that. Might have a chat to the live linesman that wired my STC up. He might know.

Cheers

Don't get the dead one to help you...

On mine the thermostat died. When we checked, it was just switching the active wire to the compressor, so a show bit of wire and a crimp on either end was all that was needed.

QldKev

I just had a fridge freakout.

Had it on 3C and took out the cool beer to keg, carb and tap - then put in a new batch of Budvar Clone and NUFFIN!

Fridge wouldn't turn on its compressor. Wasn't the STC1000 ...

The solution was to turn the thermostat in the fridge up a little. Within about a few seconds I heard a "click".

Then after my STC's timeout (5 mins) clicked over, the fridge went whirr again and my Bud is currently at 16C, heading for 11.

Make sure you haven't tripped you fridge's own failsafe.

Don't get the dead one to help you...

On mine the thermostat died. When we checked, it was just switching the active wire to the compressor, so a show bit of wire and a crimp on either end was all that was needed.

QldKev

Ok I see if that can fix it.

I just had a fridge freakout.

Had it on 3C and took out the cool beer to keg, carb and tap - then put in a new batch of Budvar Clone and NUFFIN!

Fridge wouldn't turn on its compressor. Wasn't the STC1000 ...

The solution was to turn the thermostat in the fridge up a little. Within about a few seconds I heard a "click".

Then after my STC's timeout (5 mins) clicked over, the fridge went whirr again and my Bud is currently at 16C, heading for 11.

Make sure you haven't tripped you fridge's own failsafe.

Had a go at trying to turn the thermostat up. Still didn't fire up. Thanks for the idea though.

Back