Deus - Complicated Fermentation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikem108

Reaction score
I got this off the neck of a bottle of Deus.
Have a read if you are interested in really complicated bottle conditioning :D

Deus0001.JPG

That's what they do with Champagne...thinking maybe location has something to do with the similarity :)

PZ.

Basically the same process as Champagne. The idea of freezing the neck of the bottle and extracting the plug of yeast was supposedly discovered by accident by Madame Veuve Cliqouet.

Yes. There are also some extremely high quality ciders made the same way, most notably by Alex Hill of Bolhayes in Devon.

Mike,

What did you think of Deus? At it's worst a very interesting drop eh? :beerbang:

Warren -

I have tried a couple bottles of Deus last summer - a friend of mine called it MAN Champagne!!!!!

A pity it is so expensive - otherwise not a bad drop....

MWS

Overpriced, overhyped.

I bought a bottle along to GBBF and we tried it there. Admitadly it could have been cooler (we only had it in the cooler for an hour or so) but it was still very harsh. Alcohol completely dominated, with strong esters and fruits.

If they're going to make it that strong it needs more flavours to back up and disguise the harsh alcohol.

Just my opinion anyway :)

kook said:
Overpriced, overhyped.

I bought a bottle along to GBBF and we tried it there. Admitadly it could have been cooler (we only had it in the cooler for an hour or so) but it was still very harsh. Alcohol completely dominated, with strong esters and fruits.

If they're going to make it that strong it needs more flavours to back up and disguise the harsh alcohol.

Just my opinion anyway :)
[post="74756"][/post]​
I'd say having it icy cold would help quite a bit there, I find champagne much more palatable when seriously chilled.

Back