• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Designing Great Beers - Ray Daniels

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mudsta

Reaction score
Hi folks,

Just wondering if any body has a 2nd hand copy of

'designing great beers by ray daniels' they want to sell.

I can pick one up new but just thought id ask if anybody felt like off
loading a copy.

Also i would like to hear any comments on the book...any good?

Mudsta :beerbang:

mudsta said:
Hi folks,

Just wondering if any body has a 2nd hand copy of

'designing great beers by ray daniels' they want to sell.

I can pick one up new but just thought id ask if anybody felt like off
loading a copy.

Also i would like to hear any comments on the book...any good?

[post="89739"][/post]​

Hey Mudsta,
Its a very good reference book, quite technical but its handy to know these things first hand aswell as having beersmith/promash there to work it out for you.
Highly recommended.

highly recommended Mudsta - only after reading it was I really prepared to inflict on the world my home grown Scottish Ale recipes.

It is not a recipe book, but helps to nail down the general parameters for a style - around which you can then build your own individual beer.

Some people have bagged it because it uses data from medal winners from the American Homebrewers Association comps for some of the material. I've always found it easy to separate the historical and contemporary information from the AHA stuff, and you have to remember it was published by the brewing arm of the AHA and primarily for the American market.

It is well written for a brewing book, and easy to understand. For someone weaned on Fix's Principles of Brewing Science this may or not be a postive recommendation, eh mudsta :p

Best of luck in finding a second hand copy, I don't reckon many AG brewers let go of theirs. It is a resource you tend to return to quite a bit.

a very good and informative read on beer styles and some history.im always going back and referencing the book for various beers im making.you will enjoy it mudsta.

cheers
big d

Mudsta, if you make it to the Wheaty on the 18th to meet up with big d and the rest, I will try and remember to bring my copy along for you to have a squizz at.

Sounds like thats a cheer from the crowd for this book!!! :D
I was thinking its just the book for the finer points of beer styles and everyone agrees.
I'm always testing and tuning my beers...Thats why i brew. (and the drinking part too)

Looks like i better buy a new copy and let it move in with my other ever growing library.

The more knowledge the better i say!!!!! :beerbang:

Thanx lads,

mudsta

P.S. I mite let you borrow 'principals of brewing science - George fix" wee stu.

mudsta said:
P.S. I mite let you borrow 'principals of brewing science - George fix" wee stu.
[post="89749"][/post]​

cool! I might even return it to you :p

awrabest, stu

Mudsta - I recently bought it on Amazon where it has been discounted to $15 or so down from $25.

Jez

Good book.
But if you are hopeless at mathematical formulas like me the pretty graphs make it worthwhile.

I have fallen asleep reading it quite a few times.

johnno

It's a great book. I like the way he gives you the classic approach to brewing the style, then shows you how winning homebrewers attacked it, proving in many cases, you can make great beers to style with sometimes unconventional methods. My only bug bear is that he doesn't touch on Belgian beers at all.

Cheers - Snow

Yep I agree with most of the above. Has helped me a lot. I also like the way he makes an effort to give commercial as well as homebrew versions of the same styles along with some basic historical background. The whole point is to help develop your own recipe formulating skills which is great. Well worth the cash...

Shawn.

Gough said:
Yep I agree with most of the above. Has helped me a lot. I also like the way he makes an effort to give commercial as well as homebrew versions of the same styles along with some basic historical background. The whole point is to help develop your own recipe formulating skills which is great. Well worth the cash...

Shawn.
[post="89809"][/post]​

Ditto :)

I also have found it an informative read & and refer to it often.
If you can't find a 2nd hand copy or want to save money remember the old saying (Which doesn't actually refer to books :D ) "Why buy a book when you can join a library". Once you have joined the local library you can request that they obtain any brewing book you fancy & read it for zilch outlay.

:beer:

Ive tried the local inter-library loan system.
It has found a few books for me from time to time but not for this book.

I think i mite try the amazon approach.

Thanks for the feedback lads. Will buy a copy this week.

Happy brewin!

Get the book. It is a great read. Covers the basics (including history) for most styles. I found when I read it I couldn't put it down.
cheers
Darren

faaaaark
you guys are sending me broke!
OK where can I obtain a copy of mentioned book?
:)

(I LOVED Brew like a Monk!)

you can have my copy, in return for a couple of your brews...
i must be the only one here who doesnt really get much use out of it - i reckon the stats are boring and misleading, there's little in the way of real critical use of the basic facts and stats other than turning them into a million different graphs.
plus the styles chosen are pretty limited.
too many numbers not enough opinions for my use.

and i am happy to send it to you!

ok a loan?

all my current brews lagering are 1/2 shite because they're partials
i recently tipped down the sink because it had all the character of an accountant

oh my, i've become a beer snob !

i've already decided if they don't have Coopers at an up-coming function in a swanky hotel (and dinner, all paid for), I'm sneaking off...

come now, free beer is always good... except if it's outback chilli beer...
i will send you this book anyway, you can have it. just ignore the recipes scrawled inside the cover and the endless water chemistry calculations.
pm me your address and it's yours.

tangent said:
ok a loan?

all my current brews lagering are 1/2 shite because they're partials
i recently tipped down the sink because it had all the character of an accountant

oh my, i've become a beer snob !

i've already decided if they don't have Coopers at an up-coming function in a swanky hotel (and dinner, all paid for), I'm sneaking off...
[post="90555"][/post]​

Back