Designing Great Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirem

Reaction score
My books got here today.

Nonans Lager book and Designing great beers.

Both look excellent, well above my expectations. Sooo much expectionations.

I've had a few tonight and I told the missus they are pages of gold. She laughed at me!

Both ARE excellent - enjoy :super:

I got a lend of both of those books off Gough, and I reckon they are bloody fantastic. I have to return em this weekend when I go to Newcastle :(, but I will be buying both ASAP. Does anybody actually add kraeusening beer to their secondary when they rack, as stated in New brewing Lager beerand does this make a difference? Is it only for lagers? Am thinking about giving it a bash next brew, (ale) just wondered if anyone had any feedback on it?
All the best
Trent

kirem said:
My books got here today.

Nonans Lager book and Designing great beers.

Both look excellent, well above my expectations. Sooo much expectionations.

I've had a few tonight and I told the missus they are pages of gold. She laughed at me!
[post="87932"][/post]​
Both handy books although I reckon Noonan is a bit of a tosser.

:lol: :lol:

Strange comment there Sos... Something in particular you disagree with?

Never tried krausening Trent - maybe give us a report?

Shawn.

Trent.

Krausening is more of a commercial practice that is/was done by German breweries. It basically achieves the same end as a diacetyl rest. Not being able to use CO2 from external sources the brewers would add freshly fermenting wort to the conditioning beer to achieve carbonation and clean up fermentation byproducts.

Give it a go if you want Trent. Would really only bother with lagers though. It probably won't achieve any more than warming your lager up to Ale temps for a few days at the end of primary fermentation. :beerbang:

Warren -

I think Weizeguy has done it a number of times with his wheat and berliner weisse beers.

Beers,
Doc

I have managed to find DGB and Radical Brewing in Bookstores, here in Brisbane. Looks like the suppliers/proprietors are catching on that this little hobby is growing.

thehipone said:
I have managed to find DGB and Radical Brewing in Bookstores, here in Brisbane. Looks like the suppliers/proprietors are catching on that this little hobby is growing.
[post="88501"][/post]​
There is money to be made out of homebrewers, who ever would have thunked it.

Bookshops in Adelaide were barren deserts two years ago. Now it is not that uncommon to find 4 or 5 brew books, and often multiple copies at that.

Back