Designing A Private Bar

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

argon

firmitas, utilitas, venustas
Reaction score
I'm an Architect and I have a commission with a couple of wealthy brothers building a private bar for them in a hotel that they own and run.

The original brief was to not have any beer service... just a wine cellar, bottle display and spirits (mainly blue label scotch... not sure they've heard of single malt scotch).

blue_label.jpg

A proprietary cellar will be going into the floor, fully conditioned and humidity controlled... they have quite an extensive and collection of Australian red wine... with most vintages of Grange from the past 20 or so years . They say for a typical function they usually go through half a dozen bottles over dinner.... again did mention the coin they have!
DeGeorgi_01.jpg
White_1.jpg

In addition to the cellar i'm putting in a 5.5m long vertical remote operated retractable glass cabinet for bottle display in the wall all temp and humidity controlled. The glass panel raises up on a mechanism behind the wall to enable access to the bottles. Massive bling/wank factor with mirror back and led lighting.

Behind the backlit glowing marble bar is another bespoke piece of joinery displaying the scotch selection... which i'm hoping to have some input on the selection... I don't know too much about scotch, but if you had to choose (with a limitless budget) what would you stock it with?

So i had a meeting with one of them yesterday and he mentioned that he may be interested in having a draught system installed, but was concerned with the room it may take up. Excitedly, i showed him some of the AHB member's setups to try and convince him to go for it. He especially liked the look of NickB's setup with the underfloor "cellar"... cheers Nick hope you don't mind.
long_shot_downstairs.jpg I think i've convinced him that because we have the underfloor space (2m or so) that putting a setup like this and a font in the bar would be the way to go... now just waiting for approval as he discusses with his brother.

In addition to all the alcohol service the brief includes a sweeping leather lounge in a private sunken section with 2 ceiling mounted concealed and flip down 60inch LED TV panels. The lounge centres on a stone "podium" with an automated retractable floor-to-ceiling pole, for "private entertainment". :icon_chickcheers:

Today i'm revising some of the details and designs... but wouldn't mind some input from the forum...
1. What spirit/scotch selection would you have?
2. Ideas for beer service and selection?
3. What other "bling" factor goodies would you put in a bar if you had limitless funds?

For what it's worth... this is turning into a dream commission.

Visit the scotch thread for idea on good single malts - a must for an expensive bar.

This all sounds pretty good, bulk buy anyone? ;)

Cheers SJ

Visit the scotch thread for idea on good single malts - a must for an expensive bar.

aha!... found it Single Malt Scotch Whisky I remember i read this a while ago. The descriptions of some of those flavours sound wonderful. I'll have to have another peruse.

Private Bar or Brothel? :)
Surprisingly not... that was close to my first impression... but apparently the entertainers are not strictly dancers only. The bar is not in Aus. So the story goes, they fly their "guests" in.

can't really advise on questions but sounds very cool...

Woo Hoo! Fame! Surely fortune follows...? Will PM you the address to send the cheques ;)

Looks the goods though, and sounds awesome. Hope you're getting some good $$$ and/or use of the entertainment facilities.... :ph34r:

Cheers!

Subscribed...

I wanna see pics of the build / finished product

Seems like money is no object, can you get westvleteren 12 in kegs?

3. What other "bling" factor goodies would you put in a bar if you had limitless funds?
:ph34r:

Cigar humidor?
Jacuzzi hot tub?

Underglow lighting under the leather lounge?
lit1a_thumb_550xauto_21618.jpg

'Tasteful' custom chandalier?
custom_chandeliers.jpg

'Tasteful' uniform for doorman/security?
20855.jpg

The picture says it all:
girls_on_trampolines.jpg

Not in Australia huh? Well then I'd also suggest this:
retail_box_small.jpg

Oh and chicks love little fluffy animals:
pd_pe_138010_lg.jpg

Subscribed...

I wanna see pics of the build / finished product

Seems like money is no object, can you get westvleteren 12 in kegs?

:ph34r:

Cigar humidor?
Jacuzzi hot tub?

Oh yeah forgot to mention we are having a humidor. Love the chandelier... :blink: erm... i mean no... no... i hate the chandelier

First dodgy 3D... materials and lighting is all wrong

3D_ViewCutaway_High_300.jpg

See if you can fly over some kegs of Ross' brew.

At least one scotch has to be Islay peat malted scotch. Yum!

Private dancers who do more, are paid = brothel, but with one customer shouting for the many.

I love NickB's bar, I still occasionally go and look at those pics just for the hell of it.

Goomba

Sad to say my bar is dismantled and still in pieces at the new place. Will all be on one level when it's set back up. Not as blingy :(

Cheers

A Box of Ballantines,
A container of Murrays Grand Cru,
A grow room for the Noble Hops and oh..oh and a grain silo. yeah a grain silo.
Do you need a Consultant?

Hope this helps
Harry.

Ballantines? You ought to wash your mouth out, preferably with a much nicer whisky.

Dunno why the bar is getting so much attention. Surely only the mirrored coffee-tables will get a workout?

The lounge centres on a stone "podium" with an automated retractable floor-to-ceiling pole, for "private entertainment".

Surely a small mud wrestling pit or foxy boxing needs to be incorporated into this design also? :lol: ;)

2. Ideas for beer service and selection?

Surely uber-premium beers would be all you stock in a place like this. Plenty of imported micro beers, minimal tap beer surely being a more 'spirit' driven bar?

Nice project to work on too.

First dodgy 3D... materials and lighting is all wrong

Don't fret, I have tweaked it a bit more for you:
3D_ViewCutaway_2.jpg

Not sure I like the sunken floor for the lounge, I get that it makes it cosier but it is a bit of a trip hazard IMO. Hard for bar staff to navigate when they are bringing drinks etc to clients on the lounge.

I'd also make the stone thingy in the middle of the lounge into a hot tub. This could work with the sunken floor because it would sort of act like a bunded area and could be made a self draining wet area. You can always have a solid lid on top of the hot tub that can be utilised as a dance/exhibition floor when not being used as an exhibition hot tub. Actually you could fill the tub with jelly...

The steps would still be a trip hazard how many blokes do you reckon would use the steps as an excuse to fall into the hot tub during an exhibition?

Dunno why the bar is getting so much attention. Surely only the mirrored coffee-tables will get a workout?

you never cease to make me laugh bum. It's so funny because it is true.

LOL

I suspect the "wine cellar" in the middle may not be used for what you think it may be used for...

Relevant pop culture references include:
"Bring out the gimp"
"Gimp's sleepin'"​
or
"It puts the lotion on it's skin, or else it gets the hose again"​

Latest posts

Back