Description Of Mash Words

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gout

Bentleigh Brau Haus
Reaction score
Protein rest ?

eg : "Protein rest at 50 Degrees for 20 mins then mash at 66 for 90 minutes"

Mash in ?

eg : "Mash in at 71 Degrees then mash at 66 Degrees for 90 minutes"

Mash Out ?

thanks for any help you can give....

I will getting my beer books on the 30th of Aug so maybe the silly questions will slow

Protein rest ?

eg : "Protein rest at 50 Degrees for 20 mins then mash at 66 for 90 minutes"

Under modified malts required a step mash to get the most out of them. Different temperatures in the mash bring out different characteristics. Your recipe example is for a protein rest at 50 deg.
Most Australian malts do not require a step mash program.

Mash in ?

eg : "Mash in at 71 Degrees then mash at 66 Degrees for 90 minutes"

The example you provide would apply to an infusion mash (over the step mash). You fill your mash tun with 71 deg water then when you add your grain (mash in) the temp will settle at 66 degC. Not the initial temp of the water depends on the thermal characteristics of your equipment. I have my water at 78 DegC for an infusion mash that settles at 66 DegC after the additions (dough in) of the grain.

Mash Out ?

Mash out occurs at the end of the mash period (eg 90 mins in your example).
You raise the temp of the mash to around 78 deg C to stop any further conversion of the mash. This is called mash out. When the temp is at mash out temp you start sparging.

Hope that helps,
Beers,
Doc

Thanks Doc!!

I guess a mash out is hard in my double bucket method unless i "heat it" being plastic i doubt it, or take some liquid out and heat it up, continue untill the liquid is hot enough and heats the gain also

thanks again, i'll have to look at a few more part mash's to get my head around a few more of these issues

ben you could sparge with boiling water untill you reach 78c. the mash should have allready finished anyway the 78c is to efficently wash the sugars out of the grain so as long as you reach 78c before then end of the sparge youll get some damm fine results.measure your efficiency and see what you are getting so far.

cheers jayse

Ben

As far as I am aware - you sparge at 78 degrees for the following reasons.
This temp is high enough to stop the enzymes from working.
This temp is low enough to stop any tanins from coming out of the grains.
As this water is at a higher temp than what is in the mash tun - you get a layering sort of effect. It pushes the water with the sugars down and out of the grain bed. You should see a colour change when the sparge water reaches the bottom of the mash tun - this is where you can stop the sparge - or do an Iodine test to check if there are any more startches/sugars still in solution.
And as Jayse says - it is to wash the remaining sugars out.

Hope this helps.

Doc,

regarding step mashing under modified malts, would this apply to wheat malt? I seem to remember reading somewhere that wheat malt requires a protein rest.

Cheers - Snow.

Latest posts

Back