Demand Valve For Beer Engine

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jez

Reaction score
Hi there,

I finally got around to hooking up my beer engine properly. After much research I decided to try a demand valve like most of the users in the UK seem to use instead of a cask aspirator. I got one from www.barleybottom.com.

I hooked it up with 3/8 inch line from corny to the john guest connect on the demand valve then its 1/2 inch from the valve to the beer engine. Here's a pic:

demand_valve.JPG

Gotta say I'm SUPER impressed!!!! The engine has a super smooth pull and no need for me to mod the keg lid like I've seen a few people do. Very happy!!

Now to load up with that keg of Smurto TTL i've been saving :beerbang:

Jez

So is that one of those check valves that let you pour with CO2 pressure instead of the pump itself?

It's a thing of beauty. Got any more pics?
I would love one of these on my bar.....

So is that one of those check valves that let you pour with CO2 pressure instead of the pump itself?

Yep, but you can still use it to pump straight from the fermenter real ale style if you want. It lets you keep the keg pressure a bit higher than if you were using an aspirator without the beer being pushed out the engine. The engine is still pumping the beer into your glass.

I read a few UK stories about people not being able to get a good keg seal using an aspirator due to the low keg pressure so thought i'd give this a go. Glad I did.

Jez

This is also known as a check valve. It stops force carbonated beer being pushed through the engine, very different to an aspirator which maintains atmospheric pressure inside the keg when the beer relies on secondary fermentation for carbonation of the beer.

So do you need a second regulator set at a low pressure or can you have normal serving pressue running into the 'cask'?

So do you need a second regulator set at a low pressure or can you have normal serving pressue running into the 'cask'?

I would assume the beer is being force carbonated at the same pressure as the other beers and the engine is merely used to serve into the glass.
Not quite what real ale and beer engines are all about.

I use a cask breather and a check valve with my beer engine and it works perfectly, I keep the cask breather pressure set to around 3 or 4 psi and never had an issue with lid seals.

Cask Breather
28032009948.jpg

Check Valve
28032009949.jpg

Pulls a lovely pint
16052009988.jpg

Fellas

While sort of on topic is any one keen to organise a beer engine related gear bulk buy?

Eg aspirators, check valves, sparklers, drip trays etc

Looks like http://www.worthside.co.uk/ is the cheapest place - even though their web shop only works through Internet Explorer <_<

Cheers

Hi,

We are in the process of organising a container of such things plus pins and firkins - will have more details next week.

Dave

When I organised the bulk buy of the cask aspirators a few years back the cheapest by far were Scot-Bev.
Here is the link.

The killer is always going to be shipping.
Make sure whoever you source from is not going to use an Int'l courier, as the cost is massive. They will want to because they will want to guarantee delivery. What we did was get them sent to Kook as he was in London at the time, and he very generously individualised them and sent them on.
However as they were sent to the UK first, they charged me VAT. I then had to provide proof that the items then left the UK in order to get back all the VAT (which was substantial as it was a big order). Like all BB it was a pain, but worth it in the end.
Love have the Beer Engine for family gatherings and brewdays.

Doc

Hi,

We are in the process of organising a container of such things plus pins and firkins - will have more details next week.

Dave
Cool

Will these be available through NNL?

I'm specifically after an aspirator and maybe a check valve / demand valve

Two or three sparklers with different hole sizes

And two or three 6" drip trays

And some 3/8" OD line if the check valve had the john guest connector

Cheers

I would assume the beer is being force carbonated at the same pressure as the other beers and the engine is merely used to serve into the glass.
Not quite what real ale and beer engines are all about.

Agreed. I'm planning on using my engine to pour a proper pint, not just for novelty value so I won't be force carbonating. I could've just got another celli tap to do that. I have got an aspirator and will be hooking it up as well to keep the carbonation level low.

I was just chuffed that the check valve meant I didn't have to mod the keg lid like I thought I would've had to do if I had used an aspirator only. I got the impression from other posts on here that this was the best way to go. My original post might've got a bit carried away with joy at the time but I was just letting people know.

Jez

Yes, we are working with our European contacts to get some 'top loaded' into a container.

Full details should be available next week.

Thanks
Dave
For those who don't have knowledge of these things: I believe that "top loading" is the process of filling the deadspace on top of the main cargo to maximise container capacity.

This will certainly reduce the freight on these much-appreciated items, and as we all know, the freight is the killer from most parts of the world.

Thanks heaps, David. I'll be toward the front of the queue.
Be prepared for a heap of questions when the bits are available for sale.

Les out ;)

Yes, we are working with our European contacts to get some 'top loaded' into a container.

Full details should be available next week.

Thanks
Dave

Don't know how I'm going to get this past the fiscal speed bump, but I'm keen when they arrive.

where are you guys getting these beer pumps from, so want one

Latest posts

Back