Dedicated Grainfather Guide, Problems and Solutions Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Father in law is a food grade welder. Might see if he feels like doing a little mod for me.

On another note and do people think it is possible to do a proper whirlpool on the GF or is it a waste of time given the filter positioning? Am wondering if I was to modify the mash recirc arm to attach a piece of copper tubing curved to the base of the GF and then run the pump if I could get a good whirlpool going or if the flow rate isn't strong enough?

Killer Brew said:
On another note and do people think it is possible to do a proper whirlpool on the GF or is it a waste of time given the filter positioning? Am wondering if I was to modify the mash recirc arm to attach a piece of copper tubing curved to the base of the GF and then run the pump if I could get a good whirlpool going or if the flow rate isn't strong enough?
There's no need for a whirlpool KB...with the filter in place getting a trub cone post boil really isn't necessary.

It could greatly reduce the debris around the filter and reduce load on the pump.

A whirlpool arm does work.
I made a stainless elbow and it whirlpools with the immersion chiller in the pot, old school.

Killer Brew said:
I tried a whirlpool on my last brew, knocked the bloody filter off! Won't try it again...

Another option the Grainfather should have

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY9o10RYZhs

A.B. said:
I tried a whirlpool on my last brew, knocked the bloody filter off! Won't try it again...
I whirlpool mine, never had a problem or filters coming off. Mind you, I don't stick the mash paddle all the way down and it still does a fine job of a whirlpool. :)

wambesi said:
I whirlpool mine, never had a problem or filters coming off. Mind you, I don't stick the mash paddle all the way down and it still does a fine job of a whirlpool. :)
I agree, the only system I have ever used when I have whirlpooled with a mash paddle and got nice trub cone.

Nice, I just tested these out versus on the new version against the Grainfather Calculator and it works great, for different amounts of grain. The mash volume is spot on, the sparge volume appears out by a couple of hundred mL compared to the calculator at least for me but the volume etchings are only in 1L increments so that's not a big deal at all. Good job, this will make brew day even easier, no need to jump between Beersmith and the Grainfather app anymore.

Good work. Been waiting for a BS profile where I don't need to check GF calcs.

What about if you throw different boil times at the above profile? Still good? (for a 90 min boil for example).

And so it begins......

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1473471408.057408.jpg

Seems to be going to plan.... Anyone else notice a fair bit of grain husk being recirculated during the mash? Is it to do with my grain crush or how I've put the top plate on?

The top plate was below the water line, so it was hard to get a good feel on where the grain bed was. Seems to be recirculating pretty quickly and overflowing too - I hope a good amount is running through the grain.

You can always slow down the flow using the ball lock, so that the overflow isn't so high. Even turn off the pump for a while.

Need some urgent help - finished chilling and turned off the pump.... It seems to have created a vacuum? Wort is stuck in the exit pump AND won't fall back into the pump.... What the hell do I do?

Back