Dedicated Grainfather Guide, Problems and Solutions Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TSMill said:
Hi guys, helping a mate commission his grainfather today. In the instructions part 11, I'm not sure why the soak/holds for beta glucan and protein rests are via the normal (2kW) setting, and sacchrification using mash (500W) setting. ANY logic in this, I would have thought large element to ramp and small to soak in all cases.
I figure the soak/holds for the earlier steps aren't considered as temp critical, whereas sacc is. But I reckon you'd be fine using 2kw to ramp, then switching to 500W for each hold step regardless of temp.

Yeah, think using the smaller element provides more accurate temp control at a holding point. I usually switch to the 500W at any holding temp if i remember to do it and then back to full for ramping.

hi All.

I've borrowed our clubs GF to brew demo to a friend. Well my efficiency sucked, 55% planed for 75
An APA 5kg (added 1.5kg dme for efficiency) 150g hops, 23 into fermenter

some things to consider when I try again tomorrow.

finer crush
this was the crush which is my normal 4v crush

The sparge was super quick not too sure what I may have done wrong, could I have had the top plate up too high during mash, I pushed it down for the sparge. ?

More water in mash, to overcome my shit sparge ?

may recirc mash back over grain basket ?

I plan on doing a GF and 4V

thoughts.

It seemed a long day, it struggled to get to boil.
temp overshoot, a PID (which is coming I believe) would be great.
it's skinny and my mash paddle is almost too big
I used a hop basket so it was pretty clear till the end
first time I have chilled, it chilled to 15 at full flow and only used 80 ltrs of water (i used to clean my rig for tomorrow)

cheers

mxd said:
hi All.

I've borrowed our clubs GF to brew demo to a friend. Well my efficiency sucked, 55% planed for 75
An APA 5kg (added 1.5kg dme for efficiency) 150g hops, 23 into fermenter

some things to consider when I try again tomorrow.

finer crush
this was the crush which is my normal 4v crush

The sparge was super quick not too sure what I may have done wrong, could I have had the top plate up too high during mash, I pushed it down for the sparge. ?

More water in mash, to overcome my shit sparge ?

may recirc mash back over grain basket ?

I plan on doing a GF and 4V

thoughts.

It seemed a long day, it struggled to get to boil.
temp overshoot, a PID (which is coming I believe) would be great.
it's skinny and my mash paddle is almost too big
I used a hop basket so it was pretty clear till the end
first time I have chilled, it chilled to 15 at full flow and only used 80 ltrs of water (i used to clean my rig for tomorrow)

cheers
Did you not recirc during the mash? You're certainly supposed to.
On the temp overshoot, did you switch the element over during the mash so it was only using the 500w instead of 2kw?
Why the DME? 5kg of grain is a breeze for the GF, with the right crush, mash out and sparge you should be hitting 75% min, often over 80% efficiency.
Having the top plate high during the mash shouldn't be an issue. Pushing it down for sparge is ok, if you pushed it down to hard then it'd likely slow your sparge rather than speed it up.

carniebrew said:
==Did you not recirc during the mash? You're certainly supposed to.

I did, I meant recirc for sparge

===On the temp overshoot, did you switch the element over during the mash so it was only using the 500w instead of 2kw?

I switched when it hit temp (65) then hit 67.

===Why the DME? 5kg of grain is a breeze for the GF, with the right crush, mash out and sparge you should be hitting 75% min, often over 80% efficiency.

as I said my efficiency was 55%

==Having the top plate high during the mash shouldn't be an issue. Pushing it down for sparge is ok, if you pushed it down to hard then it'd likely slow your sparge rather than speed it up.

my sparge was super quick

I think a finer crush would help quite a bit. I used a course crush at first with grainfather but found a bit finer helped with my efficiency.

mxd said:
==Did you not recirc during the mash? You're certainly supposed to.

I did, I meant recirc for sparge

===On the temp overshoot, did you switch the element over during the mash so it was only using the 500w instead of 2kw?

I switched when it hit temp (65) then hit 67.

===Why the DME? 5kg of grain is a breeze for the GF, with the right crush, mash out and sparge you should be hitting 75% min, often over 80% efficiency.

as I said my efficiency was 55%

==Having the top plate high during the mash shouldn't be an issue. Pushing it down for sparge is ok, if you pushed it down to hard then it'd likely slow your sparge rather than speed it up.

my sparge was super quick
Efficiency of 75-85% can be expected with the GF if everything falls into line. Following on from the discussion above ^^ the other factors that could potentially affect efficiency are mash pH too high or a too coarse grain crush. Given that you had a very quick sparge I suspect that grain crush may have been a little too coarse for the GF. My first brew I had too coarse a crush and probably too high mash pH and my efficiency was 53%. I have a friend with a 3V system who uses a far more coarse crush than I do with the GF but get similar efficiency. Try a finer crush, not much use recommending a mill setting as it differs depending upon the make.

Edit: N3MI beat me to it!

ok

dong this one today

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: 23 ltr AIPA Grainfather
Brewer: Matt
Asst Brewer:
Style: American IPA
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 25.81 l
Post Boil Volume: 23.92 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l
Bottling Volume: 23.00 l
Estimated OG: 1.069 SG
Estimated Color: 30.9 EBC
Estimated IBU: 59.6 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 75.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
0.19 oz Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 1 -
5.50 kg Golden Promise (Bairds) (10.4 EBC) Grain 2 82.1 %
0.50 kg Munich I (Weyermann) (27.6 EBC) Grain 3 7.5 %
0.50 kg Wheat Malt, Malt Craft (Joe White) (7.0 Grain 4 7.5 %
0.20 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (465.7 EBC) Grain 5 3.0 %
30.00 g Citra [11.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 32.8 IBUs
18.60 oz Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 7 -
40.00 g Amarillo [8.60 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 8 12.4 IBUs
40.00 g Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 9 14.4 IBUs
40.00 g Citra [11.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 10 0.0 IBUs
3.4 pkg American Ale II 1272 (Wyeast #1272) Yeast 11 -
20.00 g Citra [11.00 %] - Dry Hop 3.0 Days Hop 12 0.0 IBUs
20.00 g Mosaic [12.50 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 13 0.0 IBUs

I will make i a finer crush and see how I go
ta

ok, so i did a fine crush, probably stuck sparge to come up :)

the big diff now whilst it's mashing is the overflow pipe is being used, yesterday it could run freely through the grist.

I will let you know how it goes and how the beer is (my first chilling time, so my recipes have been adjusted for that :) )

I would allow a little more liquid for the boil. grainfather should boil off 2.5l per half hour.

N3MI said:
I would allow a little more liquid for the boil. grainfather should boil off 2.5l per half hour.
I was ignoring that part of the recipe

I put 25 ltrs in to start and now need 8 ltr sparge, I'm spargine at the moment and it dripping through nice and slow.

I'll take a reading when done.

got 27 @1.057 post sparge
the sparge was probably 3 pints (45 for those who use different time measurements :) )

finished with 21 in the fermenter @ 1.066

hey all, using the grainfather this morning and my wort is not clearing up at all, been about 45 mins now, I'm thinking im not getting much flow through the grain bed as the overflow pipe is in full swing.

Anyone else had this issue? I'm thinking it has something to do with my crush size, maybe a but fine. I think the beer will be fine but it's a little frustrating.

cheers,
Simo

SimoB said:
hey all, using the grainfather this morning and my wort is not clearing up at all, been about 45 mins now, I'm thinking im not getting much flow through the grain bed as the overflow pipe is in full swing.

Anyone else had this issue? I'm thinking it has something to do with my crush size, maybe a but fine. I think the beer will be fine but it's a little frustrating.

cheers,
Simo
Using any wheat? Sometimes mine doesn't run clear until quite late or even mash out. If you arent getting enough flow you will hear the pump gurgling.

Chridech said:
Efficiency of 75-85% can be expected with the GF if everything falls into line. Following on from the discussion above ^^ the other factors that could potentially affect efficiency are mash pH too high or a too coarse grain crush. Given that you had a very quick sparge I suspect that grain crush may have been a little too coarse for the GF. My first brew I had too coarse a crush and probably too high mash pH and my efficiency was 53%. I have a friend with a 3V system who uses a far more coarse crush than I do with the GF but get similar efficiency. Try a finer crush, not much use recommending a mill setting as it differs depending upon the make.
Edit: N3MI beat me to it!
I changed supplier for my last 2 grain bills and the crush was a lot coarser than my normal LHBS (i dont own a mill). On average i dropped 20 points of efficiency so a huge difference. Both were only 4-5 kg bills. Had to use DME to bump it up for the first time ever. Changing back to my usual supplier.

Killer Brew said:
I changed supplier for my last 2 grain bills and the crush was a lot coarser than my normal LHBS (i dont own a mill). On average i dropped 20 points of efficiency so a huge difference. Both were only 4-5 kg bills. Had to use DME to bump it up for the first time ever. Changing back to my usual supplier.
not using wheat, I also have a mill, I'm putting it down to the crush being too fine and too much flour. all good, nxt time i'll change the setting

Same thing happened to me last brew, sparging was a nightmare. The beer has fermented out just fine but it wasn't a fun brew day. I got the grain from a new supplier, still crushed at 1mm but I'm wondering if the different mill is the problem.

Going to add rice hulls to all my brews from now on, just in case.

Yes this has happened to me from time to time, through the same LHBS, crush too fine, lots of flour = grey goop on top of grain bed = no water passing through the grain bed.

Solution; next purchase- Grain mill.

Brewing a hefeweizen today...can't find my little overflow inlet doover anywhere! Argh. $25 for a new one too...

carniebrew said:
Brewing a hefeweizen today...can't find my little overflow inlet doover anywhere! Argh. $25 for a new one too...
Easy to lose when you are tipping spent grain. Retrieved mine from the chook shed once already.

Back