Decoction With Added Ldme

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malt_shovel

Reaction score
So I attempted my first decoction mash (enhanced double as per Kaiser instructions) and ended up with a greater volume of lower gravity (forgot to change my settings for my older / ghetto system).

Now I am at 1.045 and was aiming for a Marzen (around 1.055 was the goal) and was contemplating adding some LDME to the ferment to boost the gravity but not sure if this will degrade/detract from the decoction work.

Any thoughts from those who are keen decoction mashers?

Marzen (Oktoberfest/Marzen)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.057 (P): 14.0
Final Gravity (FG): 1.015 (P): 3.8
Alcohol (ABV): 5.45 %
Colour (SRM): 10.8 (EBC): 21.3
Bitterness (IBU): 28.5 (Tinseth)

45.45% Pilsner
45.45% Vienna
6.36% Caramunich I
2.73% Caraaroma

1.7 g/L Hallertau Mittlefrueh (5.2% Alpha) @ 90 Minutes (First Wort)
0.7 g/L Hallertau Mittlefrueh (5.2% Alpha) @ 20 Minutes (Boil)

0.1 g/L Whirlfloc Tablet @ 10 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 50C for 90 Minutes. Boil for 90 Minutes

Fermented at 11C with Saflager S-189

Notes: Doughed in at protein rest of 50degC.

Decoction pulled (approx 9lts porridge) and brought to sacch rest (70degC for 20mins)

15:39 Decoction boiling

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

Thanks

:icon_chickcheers:

Found myself in a similar predicament with a recent Munich Helles. I really can't say what would be the best solution, but I decided to wing it and just pitched at the lower OG (1.042 opposed to 1.050). I was reluctant to corrupt/ spoil the malt character of this beer with extract, doubt many serious Helles are made with the stuff, OTOH malty ales would be another story. So far so good, but it isn't even packaged yet, so just a little too early to tell if it was a success.

Back