Decoction Vorlauf

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Renzo

Reaction score
G'day all,

Feel like doing a single decoction helles on the w/kend and was wondering if you still need to do a vorlauf after the final step. In my case the final step is the deoction to mash out temp and rest there for 15 or so minutes. Should I still do a vorlauf once that step is complete?

Also do any of you decocters add rice hulls to the mash? I'm mashing in a keg with a false bottom.

Cheers

G'day all,

Feel like doing a single decoction helles on the w/kend and was wondering if you still need to do a vorlauf after the final step. In my case the final step is the deoction to mash out temp and rest there for 15 or so minutes. Should I still do a vorlauf once that step is complete?

Also do any of you decocters add rice hulls to the mash? I'm mashing in a keg with a false bottom.

Cheers

Yes to the first (assuming you then drain to your kettle and don't want grains / husks in the main boil - which for me i don't want) and no to the second.

Recirculating after a decoction is still necessary, depends on the system though. You can make the call based on the first runoff - if it looks clear then run it off, otherwise recirculate

I haven't done a decoction with rice hulls, for a double decocted rye/wheat beer then you might need it but I would add them in before running off rather than mashing/decocting with them in, not that leaving them in for the whole mash would cause an issue, just that i'd rather mash without the hulls and adding them in at the end of the mash usually works fine.

Latest posts

Back