Decoction Mashout

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kai

Fermentation Assistant
Reaction score
I brewed a dark ale tonight and decided to try decocting a portion of the mash to achieve mashout temp, two things I've never done before. My setup is primitive and my mash size small (2.5kg), but it was easy enough to do. Although I did not notice any increase in efficiency, I did feel it made my complicated sparging regime more comfortable.

With ten minutes to go on the mash, I scooped out 3 litres os the mash and brought it to the boil on the stove while stirring constantly. That was enough to raise the mash temp from 65C to 76C, and boiled just in time to coincide with the finish of the mash duration.

I don't know if it will noticeably increase the quality of the finished product, but I do like the fact that it gives me an easy way to terminate mash activity when I choose to, so I think I will continue to do this.

Who else here has a mashout regime, and how do you do it?

Just a point, the ability of a mashout to terminate mash activity is limited. Still a mashout in theoretical terms should improve sparging and efficiency.

I mashout with a combination of boiling water and the use of a heatstick. Until i roughly hit 72 degrees.

Will

Back