Deciding between Perlick taps

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thuperman

Reaction score
I'm trying to decide on taps / font for me new (first) kegging system. I've decided to convert an old chest freezer using a font with 2 taps on the lid rather than a collar.

Based on comments on this site and others, I'm looking at spending that bit extra and going for the Perlick SS taps.

What I am looking for in a tap:
- Flow control (to aid with different beers / glasses and to make balancing the system easier). Would this also mean that I can lessen the recommended length of the line and use flow control to slow the pour?
- Ease of use (for friends and parties where people may not have much experience in pouring their own tap beer).
- Snap back into position (is this pretty standard or do you have to push most taps into position to close them?)

The current model seems to be the Perlick 650SS. But I've also read very good things about the 545. Are the 650s just the latest model of the 545? They appear to be about the same price on eBay, so I'm guessing that it's not worth buying 545s?

Are there many local suppliers that sell Perlick taps? From Perlick directly, the price of postage was more than the cost of 2 taps (Total: $220). How much do they go for in Aus?

Finally, does the material of the font matter much? Should I just go with a generic PC font (assuming that the Perlicks fit on it)?

Thanks again for your help!

There a thread on here by leighaus on his (or hers) perlick 650s. I believe they got 2 from the US delivered for $150. They linked to the Adventures in homebrewing website

I was thinking down the same lines when I bought taps a while back. I had contacted perlick directly as been informed they were not developing a SS flow control tap, by the time they released them it was too late for me.

If you want both flow control and SS there aren't too many options. Perlick, celli or rotoflow www.micromatic.com/draft-keg-beer/taps-faucets-pid-4933ROTO-V.html

Celli's would be awesome but are about double the cost of the other options.

Don't forget the cost of shanks and all the fittings when you are pricing it up as it all adds up pretty quickly!

My 650ss are excellent, they don't snap back when you let go but gently nudging them makes the flow of the beer snap them shut and seal.
Flow control allows you to have whatever length line you want. Ive got about 1 metre and can pour with them fully open and get a perfect pour. I typically have the flow control turned right down when tap is warm and as a bit trickles through slowly increase to fully open and get no foaming issues. Highly recommended!

I also had the 545ss and they were great too, some do have a stiffness issue with the flow control lever which would be covered under warranty.

I have 4 of the 545ss flow controls and love them. Apparently the 545s are notorious for being stiff and the 650s are meant to address that issue. I have nothing to compare them against, but haven't noticed an issue

To answer the questions that I can

I've found with flow control I can have fairly short lines and still have a nicely balanced system for different beers - no more mucking about when I swap kegs either

The taps are easy to use, but are not self closing

I got mine from cheeky peak - good price, great service, and they had all the bits (tap, shank, handle, elbow barb) in one package. Might be worth checking if they or another site sponsor are getting the 650s in stock at some point. Shipping from the US can get silly

Action shot of 650ss tap pour when warm from tonight tapping new IPA keg. Nom nom.

1408527378961.jpg

Just got a stainless steel font with a couple of Perlick 525ss attached $176 from Cheeky peak brewery website. My first set of taps on my new kezzer. Hopefully will serve me well for a few years

Blind Dog said:
There a thread on here by leighaus on his (or hers) perlick 650s. I believe they got 2 from the US delivered for $150. They linked to the Adventures in homebrewing website
Thanks for that. Found the thread. Looks like a pretty good price.

DJ_L3ThAL said:
My 650ss are excellent, they don't snap back when you let go but gently nudging them makes the flow of the beer snap them shut and seal.
Flow control allows you to have whatever length line you want. Ive got about 1 metre and can pour with them fully open and get a perfect pour. I typically have the flow control turned right down when tap is warm and as a bit trickles through slowly increase to fully open and get no foaming issues. Highly recommended!

I also had the 545ss and they were great too, some do have a stiffness issue with the flow control lever which would be covered under warranty.
Thanks for the recommendation!

Blind Dog said:
I've found with flow control I can have fairly short lines and still have a nicely balanced system for different beers - no more mucking about when I swap kegs either

The taps are easy to use, but are not self closing

I got mine from cheeky peak - good price, great service, and they had all the bits (tap, shank, handle, elbow barb) in one package. Might be worth checking if they or another site sponsor are getting the 650s in stock at some point. Shipping from the US can get silly
Sounds good! If I get a shank like this will I still need an elbow barb?

Does SS vs PC font matter much apart from looks?

just for the record.. Im a guy.. :)

Highly recommend the listed website on my thread.

Im still building my keezer, so havent tested them out yet.. but I'm sure keen for the first pour.. I've spent about $1100 so far on this keezer build.. Crikey.

thuperman said:
Sounds good! If I get a shank like this will I still need an elbow barb?

Does SS vs PC font matter much apart from looks?
That shank has an elbow barb already

At $40 for a double SS font at the same site, not sure why you wouldn't go SS.

leighaus said:

Im still building my keezer, so havent tested them out yet.. but I'm sure keen for the first pour.. I've spent about $1100 so far on this keezer build.. Crikey.
Building your own keezer isn't always the cheapest option, but in the end it's totally worth it.

Mine cost close to 2k all told, but the ability to have 5 different beers on tap and maximum 3 in reserve is unreal.

leighaus said:

Yep, this homebrew lark is a great way to make cheap beer isn't it !

IMHO, I've used a few taps over the years

Cheap Chrome ones from the US mounted to a fridge, worked excellent although you need to keep heaps of line on the back of them
Ones supplied with my kegerator on font. Could never get a decent beer from them. They poured but but meh...
Keg King Dorado. I purchased 3 (originally to go onto my font but they are a different sizing), mounted one to a fridge and used it for awhile. Never could get a great pour. Gave all three away (2 still brand new)
Perlick flow adjustable mounted to font. Huge upgrade from the other taps. Great pour, but not a Celli. They are on a font so that makes their life harder.
Celli, mounted to my fridge. Love it. Great head and a nice fizzy beer under it. The only tap that could get both together working.

The Celli taps are expensive, but I will be using mine for many years to come.

QldKev said:
Perlick flow adjustable mounted to font. Huge upgrade from the other taps. Great pour, but not a Celli. They are on a font so that makes their life harder.
Celli, mounted to my fridge. Love it. Great head and a nice fizzy beer under it. The only tap that could get both together working.

The Celli taps are expensive, but I will be using mine for many years to come.
Just had a look at these on Craftbrewer. $215 a pop + postage! Although I know that it's an investment that will last me a long time, I just can't justify it to myself at the moment. As mentioned above, these keezer builds aren't cheap. Think I'll have to stick with the 650SS's which have been getting great reviews. Thanks for giving me some taps to lust over BEFORE I have even bought my current ones. :D

youll be in a mercedes, just thinking about a rolls... its still going to be an awesome drive.

another opinion, i have had the cheap us ones (rubbish) celli's(good but expensive) and perlick 525's (good)

the cellis were expensive but also very smooth and obviously adjustable but they were not font mountable(when i had them anyways).

i purchased 3 x 525's and mounted on a font, with the correct line length (a bit of stuffing around) i find these to be better than the cellis as i never really worried about line length with them and probably didnt give them a chance to be all they could be.

but at $45 a pop for the perlicks they cant be neat IMO.

cheers

Back