Decent temperature sensor?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chinamat said:
That looks okay. That said, I really don't have a great track record with DS18B20 probes, I've blown up quite a few. Most people seem to get on with them okay. One of the problems with this type of unit is they never tell you what temperatures the cable is actually rated at. Usually it'll be less than 80. Yeah, you just need a 12V supply connected to the lead they give you. It comes with the probe.
Cheers for that. Thought I'd combine it with the probe Edak recommended.

431neb said:
China' is there any reason I couldn't use this probe with the unit I posted before? - Sorry to pester you but you seem to know WTF is going on with these things. - If the plug end doesn't fit can I simply join two wires from the old plug to the new probe and shrink wrap the buggers?
Yeah should be fine. Assuming the unit works with type K thermocouples. Again I'd caution that it's unlikely to be very accurate. It'd be a real good idea to check it at some point 60-70C against a spirit thermometer and note how far off it is. If you're going to use it for mashing.

Ivars said: "Cheers for that. Thought I'd combine it with the probe Edak recommended."

Stirling idea. Not sure if there's agreement on the pinout of those plugs for DS18B20s but hopefully there is.

The colours of the wires are usually black-red-white or black-red-yellow, I bet you can figure out which is which :)

Well my new probe arrived today. It's ******* useless. I could guess temperatures more accurately than this thing. The plug is a perfect fit. I can only assume it has been damaged in transit.
Bah.

Latest posts

Back