Decent Beer On The Gold Coast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doc

Doctor's Orders Brewing
Reaction score
Have to go up to the Gold Coast for the weekend for a work conference.

A couple of things that are annoying are:
  • It is skoolies week
  • Where will I find a decent beer ?
Last time I was up there I found a German Restaurant that had a couple of decent beers.

Anyone know of a decent micro or a bottleshop that sells imports ?

Beers,
Doc

Not familiar with any Coast micros, but the Surfer's Paradise Beergarden usually has something decent on tap. Schoolies galore though.

i have heard good things about the german place too.
Why don't you do some visits to some AHB forum user breweries. That is were the good beer will be at.
are there many on here from the area your visiting doc?
It would have to worth a trip to brissy to visit Snows granny flat out the back and try some of his famous brews.
i don't know i can't keep up with where everyone is from.

make it the AHB guru tour.

I won't have a lot of free time.
The conference/corporate weekend away is at Jupiter's (woohooo ..... NOT).
I'll have a few hours free friday afternoon (hopefully enought time to nip out and get some decent beer).
Then I'm out and back to Sydney on Sunday morning.

Looks like I'll be checking out the German place again.
Last time I was there the food was very ordinary (who boils pork knuckle ????), but the beer will be the go :p

If there is a micro up there then I'd get to it Friday afternoon.
I've been through the CUB Yatala brewery a few years ago.

Beers,
Doc

A bit more of internet searching and I've found a brewpub in Surfers.

Here is the link to the aptly named Gold Coast Brewpub.

Beers,
Doc

Doc, I had the Pacific Blonde at the Brisbane Beer Fest. It was very nice. Quite citrusy, but good yeast profile.

There is another brewpub on the gold coast at Sanctuary Cove called the Masthead Brewing Company, if you can get up that way. I was there a couple of years ago and they were very nice beers. A couple of award winners, from memory. They are located in the Marine Village.

- Snow

Thanks Snow,

I did find links and references to Masthead and the Gold Coast Brewery at Sanctuary Cove.
Looked up whereis.com.au and it looks like they are about 26km away.
Don't think I'll have time to do the return trip and make it worthwhile. The cab fare wouldn't be cheap either.

The brewpub is 1.25km from the hotel we are staying at so that may just be staggering distance home :lol:

Beers,
Doc

Great! We expect a full review, Doc!

Well we went and checked out the Gold Coast Brewery in Surfers.

Was really impressed with the equipment (nice shiney copper conical fermenters etc), but wasn't really impressed with their beers.

Here is a scan of the beer list.

The one I like the most was the bitter. Had a great colour to it.

Beers,
Doc

GoldCoastBreweryBeerList2.JPG

queenslanders love 4xxxx so they probably brew everything with 4xxxx in mind. :p
bitter 4xxxx
pale ale 4xxxx
stout 4xxxx
etc etc etc :D

whats the go only in oz can you label a standard lager a bitter.
and only a micro brew with a swill drinking public will keep the dream alive.

did you try them all and that was the best doc?
maybe the cali lager yeast if it has a desent malty finish with sugar added.

ok, ok ok. It was getting late and I was knackered.

The honey beer was pretty good. Had the nice honey flavour yet wasn't too sweet. However not a session beer. One was enough.

The blonde was a little light and not really true to style. More like a Pils with ginger, corriander and orange zest flavours. Very clear too.

The bitter was a really nice deep brown opaque colour. Full flavour with good bittering. IMO this is there session beer.

The black ale was a real dissappointment. No real roasted or choc grains perceptable. The biggest perception was too much crystal. Too sweet.

The lager was the only one that a real hop aroma. Quite nice, but a bit boring. Bascially a mainstream Bohemian Pils.

Didn't try the gold.

Better ???
Doc

Back