Debut Brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drewstertherooster

Reaction score
Hi all

I'm gonna do my first brew first chance I get after getting some stuff for Xmas. I've come up with this recipe for a S&W Pacific Ale sort of thing.

Blatant Ripoff Pacific Ale

Fermentables

LDME 2kg

Dry Wheat Extract 1kg

Hop Bill

Galaxy 12.2% 10g - 15mins

Galaxy 12.2% 10g - 5mins

Galaxy 12.2% 10g - 2 mins

Wai Iti 2.8% 20g - 2 mins

Galaxy 12.2% 10g - 0 mins

Wai Iti 2.8% 20g - 0 mins

Yeast - US-05

No Chill method

I'm aware Pacific Ale doesn't use wai iti hops but I'm keen to try them out, unless the overwhelming consensus is that it'll be rubbish with galaxy.

Looking for any feedback at all. I'm aware the 5 and 2 min additions is maybe a little odd. That was due to me changing my recipe after I saw how much the IBUs increased with No Chill.

Cheers

Drew

Hi all

I'm gonna do my first brew first chance I get after getting some stuff for Xmas. I've come up with this recipe for a S&W Pacific Ale sort of thing.

Blatant Ripoff Pacific Ale

Fermentables

LDME 2kg

Dry Wheat Extract 1kg

Hop Bill

Galaxy 12.2% 10g - 15mins

Galaxy 12.2% 10g - 5mins

Galaxy 12.2% 10g - 2 mins

Wai Iti 2.8% 20g - 2 mins

Galaxy 12.2% 10g - 0 mins

Wai Iti 2.8% 20g - 0 mins

Yeast - US-05

No Chill method

I'm aware Pacific Ale doesn't use wai iti hops but I'm keen to try them out, unless the overwhelming consensus is that it'll be rubbish with galaxy.

Looking for any feedback at all. I'm aware the 5 and 2 min additions is maybe a little odd. That was due to me changing my recipe after I saw how much the IBUs increased with No Chill.

Cheers
hey drew.
i have tried to do this beer many, many times....
took me about 6 or so tries to get it right, tweeking bits and pieces evry time.
i have brewed it a further 5 vor six times since, and its very very close. in fact, dare i say better?
well i would say that!
anyway, the grain bill is not gonna change for you, since you are extracting, but for anyone else, its there.
the hop schedule, i reckon is pretty right, just the right amount of bitterness/aroma/taste
anyway
CLONE AND WOOD;

2.66 kg pilsner malt

1.78 wheat malt (40%)

5g galaxy at 60min

20g galaxy at 20min

11g galaxy at 5min

20g galaxy flameout

you can dry hop with another 20g if ya want....

mash at 64 degrees c

us05 or california ale yeast

28 ibu's 4.6%abv (19 litres )

Drew, i'm concerned about your bittering hops, have you missed a 60 minute addition, or are you going for a low (sub 10) IBU? You certainly have plenty of aroma/flavour hops at the end, and to be honest I don't think you're going to see any difference in adding hops at 2 minutes and flameout, probably not much even at 5 minutes, probably should just chuck them all in at flameout, or save some and dry hop after 5 days or so in the fermenter.

Also you didn't mention how many litres you're doing, at 23 litres your 3 litres of malt will take your brew up to around 5.5% abv after bottle priming, S&W Pacific Ale is 4.4% if I recall. Do you want 5.5%? Otherwise you could back off the light DME to 1.7kg for 23 litres.

No Chill method

Are you doing a full volume boil or topping up with cold water?

Either way, I wouldn't get too concerned about what software says the IBU will be until you know where your tastes lie (something you will learn from experience). Software doesn't actually measure the resultant IBUs.

Further, if the IBU is too high for tastes using NC, dropping the 60 minute addition back rather than out all together would be a better method unless trying for a 10 minute IPA type beer.
Thirsty Boy has a sensible method for adjusting for no-chill - personally I don't worry at all but I know what my tastes are and am confident/familiar with my methods and recipes.

Cheers for the input folks.

Manticle, I hear what you're saying. I've changed it from No Chill on BrewMate, I'll be doing a partial boil (how many litres would be good? I've got a 17L stockpot). Also it's a 23L batch.

Wasn't going to do a 60 min addition at all as most of the clone recipes I've seen have a 30 or 20 min addition as the first addition. Also I've read people say galaxy gives harsh flavours as a 60 min addition, though I'll certainly try it myself at some stage and find out.

Here's the recipe I'm rolling with now. Still not looking like getting a chance to brew til next week so plenty of time to change it. Also I know you can take a recipe straight off BrewMate and put it on here but 1) I don't know how and 2) BM doesn't have some of my ingredients (Wai iti, Dry Wheat Extract)

Fermentables

LDME 2kg
Dry Wheat Extract 1kg

Hops

Galaxy 12.2% 15g 30min
Galaxy 12.2% 15g 15min
Galaxy 12.2% 15g 5 mins
Wai Iti 2.8% 20g 5 mins
Galaxy 12.2% 15g 0 mins
Wai Iti 2.8% 20g 0 mins

US-05 yeast

BrewMate gives an ABV of 4.8% for this which is about what I was after. Was hoping for 4.5-5%, little stronger than S&W. Guess I'll see when I brew it.

Again comments are very much welcomed as I'm a noobie.

Cheers

Fermentables

LDME 2kg
Dry Wheat Extract 1kg

Hops

Galaxy 12.2% 15g 30min
Galaxy 12.2% 15g 15min
Galaxy 12.2% 15g 5 mins
Wai Iti 2.8% 20g 5 mins
Galaxy 12.2% 15g 0 mins
Wai Iti 2.8% 20g 0 mins

US-05 yeast

BrewMate gives an ABV of 4.8% for this which is about what I was after. Was hoping for 4.5-5%, little stronger than S&W. Guess I'll see when I brew it.

Again comments are very much welcomed as I'm a noobie.

Cheers
That's a better hop bill. I don't use Brewmate, instead I use IanP's Kit & Extract Designer Spreadsheet to design my brews. IIRC, the 4.8% abv that Brewmate is suggesting would be before bottle conditioning, no? If so, that means you'd be closer to 5.3% abv after bottling, so keep that in mind.

With a 17L stockpot you should be looking at a ~12 litre boil which is plenty for extract brewing. Are you using "late extract addition"? You should for a partial boil. Not sure if Brewmate tells you, but you should only add around 1.3kg of your DME to the 12 litres at the start of the boil, add all the rest at flameout. This will ensure optimal extraction of the hop acids, and make the colour/flavour of your beer better.

That's a better hop bill. I don't use Brewmate, instead I use IanP's Kit & Extract Designer Spreadsheet to design my brews. IIRC, the 4.8% abv that Brewmate is suggesting would be before bottle conditioning, no? If so, that means you'd be closer to 5.3% abv after bottling, so keep that in mind.

With a 17L stockpot you should be looking at a ~12 litre boil which is plenty for extract brewing. Are you using "late extract addition"? You should for a partial boil. Not sure if Brewmate tells you, but you should only add around 1.3kg of your DME to the 12 litres at the start of the boil, add all the rest at flameout. This will ensure optimal extraction of the hop acids, and make the colour/flavour of your beer better.

Make it and tweak it. You'll find it better with a 60. There is only galaxy in it though. Never found harsh flavours with galaxy, unless you dump a load in!My recipe was 5g @60. That's not a lot. The beauty of high aa% hops

Back