Death by Homebrew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
marksfish said:
given the habits of all polititions of all parties just wait for a homebrew buy back and the outlawing of all semi auto and pump action brewing systems. and yes i am being just a little sarcastic.
Everyone, get rid of your march pumps and go gravity.

Bribie, it is now being reported as being grappa. So no beer involved. Maybe the government will make distilling your own spirits illegal.

Probably drank the heads and tails as well.

Sorry shouldn't discuss that on this forum.

Not meaning to stereotype but there's a pretty strong chance that three blokes in their 20's at 5am weren't just drinking some average hefe's or APA's.....

Plus "No illicit drugs were found at the home" but doesn't mean they hadn't taken any. Still a sad story nonetheless

How do you confuse a chub with self saturation?

Must have been drinking.

The suspect substance seems to be methanol which is the first thing to vaporise in a still and should be discarded.
Ethanol is next,(alcohol),and should be kept.
A little knowlege can be a big stuff up.

For those dissing journalist (especially the elegant citymorgue2) most police reporters faithfully report information provided as background by police. Yes, they will try and make it interesting, and perhaps they don't always get it right, but very few stray beyond police backgrounding.

(Perhaps a bit sensitive - ended a 7.416 year journalism career two days ago).

otherwise known as 'not my responsibility - I just do what I'm told"?

Internet journalism is pus. I cannot believe you bothered wriggling your fingers to defend it.

Note at the end of an article i read on same story, they say authorities are checking if they took any "other substances".

Meth Addict Dabbling in Heroin Dies from Home Brew Overdose.

I felt like death this morning after oversampling a 7.8% IPA I kegged up last night. 5 pints in quick succession was a bad idea

wombil said:
The suspect substance seems to be methanol which is the first thing to vaporise in a still and should be discarded.
Ethanol is next,(alcohol),and should be kept.
A little knowlege can be a big stuff up.

There is not enough methanol in a normal fermentation to harm you in any worse way than a bad headache. All deaths from methanol poisoning have been traced back to adding methanol or other poisons in to spirits in order to make it cheaper and sell it to others. Much like drug dealers cutting drugs with harmful, but cheap substances.

Methanol comes across in trace amounts right through a distillation in a commercial operation, and is not as fokelore would have it, able to be wholly discarded in foreshots (which is a lot of low boiling point substances) and the commercial operations must test to keep it below threshold limits.

methanol phase diagram (1).gif

Methanol is created as a byproduct of certain types of fermentations (apples being one of the main players) and drinking a litre of spirits off the still with no foreshot cuts would be the same as drinking 10-12 litres of the cider it was made from and cannot contain anything more harmful than that. What goes in must come out, there's nothing created in there.

So yes, a little knowledge can certainly be a dangerous thing, especially when that knowledge is based on untruths.

Slamma said:
This says the Ambo's had to go back after the others got sick 3 hours later.
Must have decided to have a drink for their mate after they found out he was dead.

One of my colleagues recently went to a heroin O/D after someone called and said his mate had collapsed after shooting up.
When they got there they found 2 people collapsed and close to death.
One of them turned out to be the caller. Told them that after he called 000 he thought to himself, well there's an ambulance on the way, I might as well give it a go, what can go wrong.

And these people are allowed to breed.

A perfect example of how, whenever the media report on something that you actually have a good knowledge of personally, they get it dead wrong. Makes you wonder about the other 99% of stuff they publish.

I would say that if someone is killed by doing this it really is just natural selection,

there is so much info out there online and otherwise that well maybe were better off........

I feel for his family and friends though.

Latest posts

Back