Deadline

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bouncingcastle

Reaction score
Ok guys, I need some advice.

My 21st is coming up in a month, and I have been preparing the brews for it Already have an amber ale, and a draught bottled and conditioning. (Boy is the amber ale fantastic already!).

However here is my dilemma. I just bought myself a new keg, and want the keg system to be the highlight, so will need to fill it with my current brew that is in primary.

It's a lightly hopped czech pilsner that has been going nicely at 12*C since Monday.

Now my question. Due to the short period of time involved with it, how do you guys suggest that I handle it once it has finished in primary. ie. rack into secondary for 2 weeks then keg and carbonate, or rack and CC for 2 weeks and then keg, carbonate.

In other words, what should I do to get this to be the best beer it can be in a month?

If it were my beer, I would wait till it had finished fermenting, leave it in primary for a few days, do a diacytel rest for two days, rack and cold condition for a week, keg and carbonate, and leave the keg in the fridge for further cold conditioning.

If you are new at kegging, make sure you hook the keg up and start pouring a few days before the birthday. Otehrwise, if you try and hook up on the day, it will be either overcarbonated or undercarbonated and will not present the best. Most megaswill beer drinkers judge beers by how cold they are, how easy they pour, how clear they are and how the head holds in the glass. No matter how much you point out that the beer has lovely aroma, the bitterness is perfect or the flavour balance is perfect, if you spend half the night fiddling with pressures and pouring into jugs to allow the beer to settle, the kegs will not be a highlight.

pint of lager said:
If it were my beer, I would wait till it had finished fermenting, leave it in primary for a few days, do a diacytel rest for two days, rack and cold condition for a week, keg and carbonate, and leave the keg in the fridge for further cold conditioning.

If you are new at kegging, make sure you hook the keg up and start pouring a few days before the birthday. Otehrwise, if you try and hook up on the day, it will be either overcarbonated or undercarbonated and will not present the best. Most megaswill beer drinkers judge beers by how cold they are, how easy they pour, how clear they are and how the head holds in the glass. No matter how much you point out that the beer has lovely aroma, the bitterness is perfect or the flavour balance is perfect, if you spend half the night fiddling with pressures and pouring into jugs to allow the beer to settle, the kegs will not be a highlight.
[post="50535"][/post]​

Spot on. I agree 100% with you POL... (hang on it's footy season... 110%)

A 21st with a bouncingcastle present! :super: B)

Steve

Agree with POL as well.
When I started kegging (not that long ago) I found the most challenging thing was getting carbonation and pouring pressure right (I still stuff it up from time to time). Start the keg a little earlier and play around until its "broken in" and away ya go!! This will also clear the sediment from the bottom of the keg nicely as well.

As for conditioning the current brew, a month is enough time to ferment out, rest, CC etc. You should end up with a nice result. :p

Good Luck
Cheers - from quincy who wishes he was 21 again :(

I'd sugest POL's method too.

I guess where allot of people differ is their carbonation method. I prefer if I have the fridge space and time, to carbonate by just leaving the gas pluged into the keg at serving pressure (~100kpa) for about a week... just set and forget.
As long as you have no CO2 leaks....
You can sample late in the week to see how things are going and adjust pressures slightly if required then.

Asher for now

I follow generally the procedures indicated in the last few posts but because it is usually a race to get the next beer up and drinking I have found you can cheat a little by starting the diacetal rest when the beer is still up round 1.010/12. Three days at 19/20C will see it down to 1.005/6 and then I drop the temp to 2C for a week still bubbling or not. This is usually enough to clear the brew and get it into the keg for forced carbonation and ready for beer o'clock next evening.
With forced carbonation, if you lay the keg on its side on a bit of wood say 70mm dia in the middle, you can rock it vigorously for for 10 or 15 minutes at 300kpa and you will find you are almost there providing the beer is still good and cold.
I saw on some Irish guy's website, a keg rocking cradle, electric motor and all. That would be a good project.

Tony M said:
I saw on some Irish guy's website, a keg rocking cradle, electric motor and all. That would be a good project.
[post="50580"][/post]​

I saw the same site the other night here is the link:
Keg Shaker

Very cool.

bouncingcastle, all the best with your 21st.

bouncingcastle,its your 21st birthday tis a glorious time and age just get pissed annoy everyone and not give a stuff. i did

Thanks for the advice POL, I'm going to take it.
Primary is almost done. So there will be plenty of time for the beer to turn out nice and clear.

Cheers fellas

Tony M said:
With forced carbonation, if you lay the keg on its side on a bit of wood say 70mm dia in the middle, you can rock it vigorously for for 10 or 15 minutes at 300kpa and you will find you are almost there providing the beer is still good and cold.
[post="50580"][/post]​

I apologise now if I'm missing the point, as Ive been on the turps all afternoon :chug:

But rocking your keg for 10 to 15 mins at 300 kpa is ridiculous!!!

1 minute will gas a keg....

Takes longer than 1 minute for me.

The bubbling goes on for minutes when I do it.

Back