Dead Space In Your 50lt Boiler

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Batz

Batz Brewery...Hand crafted beers from the 'Batcav
Reaction score
I have a converted keg boiler like many of you I am sure

The value is on the side and because of the concave bottom it leaves a fair amount of wort behind.

OK some is good lets the hops etc settle , but mine seems like a lot , what dead space to you guys work on , just the keg runnings not boil lost etc

from memory batz i think mine is about 2 -3 litres.i plan on lowering the outlet tube a bit and adding some s/s scouring pad to the end to reduce trub intake.
hopefully this will allow me to suck out some more wort.
it aint easy when you havent got an experienced ag brewer beside you telling you how to make it easier.

cheers
big d

I would be happy with that big d , just measured mine it's more like 6 lt

bloody hell batz.that aint to good.
i trust you have an internal tube that you can either raise or lower.
ill pop out and take a pic to post to give an idea if you havent done so already.

a bit dark but you can get the idea anyway

outlet_tube.jpg

Making one tonight

Haven't got a keg for a boiler :( but the 50lt pot I have ends up with 3L left behind which includes break and hop residue. I tip the boiler toward the tap when its real empty to get the most out of it. I have measured what was left and it was 3L of crud. Fairly happy with it.

G'Day all,
I am in the throws of making my boiler and its a converted keg.
What I did was turned the thing over so that the bottom was facing up and CAREFULLY hit the centre of the bottom of the keg with a large hammer and a block of hardwood.
It was reluctant to dent in at first but it eventually went the way I had anticipated and with a pick up pipe in place it only leaves about 2.5 ltrs in the bottom.
I recon if you had access to a hydraulic press you could do a real proffessional job of it.
I dont know how true it is but I heard somewhere that a convex bottom gives a better boil. - Could be BS!

Cheers,

Batz mine has about 4.5ltr deadspace, i just factor that into my recipe, ie instead of doing a 23ltr batch i do a 28ltr batch about $3 more in recipes!

I thought about banging in the bottom, but to tell you the truth i cant be bothered, for all the effort

With my manifold and pick up tube it is better , thinking of bashing in the bottom , mmmm maybe

mine is about 3L. i can get a bit extra out if i angle the tank a little while i am siphoning any wort out. it is good for leaving behind any hops though.
joe

Batz,

If it was you with the braided loop in the boiler......beat the daylights out of it. The braid will seive the trub and hops out

The concave shape in the base of the keg should, logically, catch the heat better and let the burner sit closer to the keg base, giving a better/stronger boil.....but the added chance of a boil over.

I have the same left-overs as the rest..about 3-3.5 litres(haven't bashed mine yet...still looking for some braid)

boiler_top_view.jpg

just going through some old threads seeing what i missed while i was away.

i allow for 4-5 litres loss.
but all this is all crud i pretty well get every drop of clear wort.
for plugs i use a scrubby for a filter but for pellets i just whirlpool.

I would love to beat the bottom in to get better effiency out of the burner but just thought it would be one hell of a effort.

cheers jayse

I did'nt bother either jayse

if i do any banging i prefer it to have a pulse.

I just used the other side of a log splitter and a big bit of wood so I would not get little dents. It took me about 5 minutes worth the effort.

I am about to try this pot pickup next weekend. I am hoping that having the pickup right in the corner will minimise the crap that gets into the fermenter. Of course this is all theory.

PotPickup.jpg

Back