Day Of Firsts (another 1st Ag Thread...)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wambesi

brewer
Reaction score
Let me bore you with yet another 1st AG thread! (But all of which are good to hear about - and learn about).

Well what could be a better day that th 1st of June for my 1st AG! :super:
Got my bag sewn last night (going BIAB) by myself and the other half (more the other half really) and waiting right now for the mash water to heat up to the strike temp.

Huge thanks must go out to everyone on this forum otherwise I would not be here right now doing this, I'd still be on the K&K's.
Well I will post more as the morning goes on, hopefully all should be good!

Thought an APA (based on Hutch's recipe from VIC xmas swap) would be best as it seems to be my fave style at the moment. :D

May your neighbourhood be awoken by the beautiful smell of malt and hops :D

Have a happy first brew day and good luck :beer:

Cheers

great too hear of another first AG, only prob is its sunday and after one you will want to do another one tomorrow,, lol

hope all gos well .

cheers

good luck & welcome to AG B) , you won't be dissapointed

cheers
Yardy

May your neighbourhood be awoken by the beautiful smell of malt and hops :D

Had some mates over on friday to watch assisst in my brewday and they couldn't believe the awesome smell of the mash and boil
good luck take it slow and dont worry it will turn out great

kleiny

Agggghhh, measuring hops out and the scale died, and it uses 2032 batteries - ones I don't keep in stock.
Luckily a quick trip to coles and a few GJ coffee's and all is well.

Also lucky I'm in the mash stage and could nick out for a min. B)

onya wambesi.....hope you have a great day and several beers to celebrate your first AG.
Cheers
Steve

Well done on your first AG.

Once it's done and later tasted...You'll wish you started AG earlier.

My tip for first couple of AG's. Write everything down so you can make adjustments to future brews..What equipment and process.

AND: Record your Boil Volume and BG into kettle and OG and volume at pitching etc so you can make adjustments for your equipment.....You probably don't care about this stuff on day one as it doesn't really matter, but record it anyway as it is very useful and you'll wish you kept it later on....

Great work ......

PB :chug:

Write everything down so you can make adjustments to future brews..What equipment and process.

+1 - got to take notes - not just for the first couple of AGs - ALL your brews.
Cheers
Steve

+1 - got to take notes - not just for the first couple of AGs - ALL your brews.
Cheers
Steve

Yeah I make sure I take notes, just "upgraded" from my own access database to beersmith have everything printed as well as e-copies - learnt that from last years hard disk failure.

Well it's boiling away now, first hops added. The pre-boil gravity was a bit low, beersmith est 1.049 I got 1.039.
Should be good though....hopefully :huh:

Ok done and done!
Well still have to clean up but the brewing is completed. Cherry popped! :D

Quick question though.
Pre-boil SG: 1.038
Post-Boil SG: 1.046
EDIT: Both readings were cooled to 20deg first.

Is this normal? Did I read incorrectly?

If so according to Beersmith that brings my first AG brewhouse efficiency (thats the one we all go off isn't it?) at 71.12% and three points from the est OG too.

Anyway, I've done my first yay! It's now in the cube ready to throw on tomorrow, and later tonight might do up a ginger beer.
Need to get my stocks back up since moving...

That sort of concentration can result from high evaporation (about 10% +). So it's plausible.
It's good to see that you scored a good extract efficiency rate on your first batch (I'm a little jealous).

Make sure the lid's tightly screwed on the cube, and turn it upside down while still hot to ensure complete pasteurisation. If you get an infection at this stage, it may turn you off the ag (maybe... :lol: ).

Time for a few beers now (shame they're not ag beers, yet).

Les out

Latest posts

Back