Davie Sets Up Pub For Pals In His Hut

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doc

Doctor's Orders Brewing
Reaction score
I don't get it. :(

Doc

DAVIE SETS UP PUB FOR PALS IN HIS HUT
Apr 19 2005
By Lou Prendergast

A DECORATOR has transformed his garden shed into a cosy bar.

Davie Gilmour keeps the beer and malt whisky flowing as he plays host to his delighted mates.

But he never takes full advantage of his own facilities - because he is teetotal.

Davie's friends flock to the shed, at his home in South Queensferry, West Lothian, to enjoy draught beer and spirits served from optics - - and the obligatory crisps and nuts.

Davie said: 'The front of the hut is a paint store but once through the louvre doors, you're in the bar.

'If war breaks out, we'll be completely self-sufficient. There's a microwave and Sky TV and CCTV monitors that show intruders approaching - women, that is. They're not allowed in.

'But my laddie, David, 14, gets in to entertain us with his accordion.

'I once had 27 people in the bar. And we have a visitors' book that's been signed by people from Ireland and Toronto who heard about the bar and popped in.

'I've been told we've got a better selection of malts than many pubs around here.'

But you won't catch Davie with a drink in his hand. The 48-year-old has been teetotal for nine years.

He added: 'I get a laugh watching them making an a ** e of themselves the way I used to when I drank.'

Davie runs a relaxed establishment - but there are some rules.

No one's allowed to turn up drunk, there's no smoking and anyone who misbehaves is kicked out.

He doesn't charge for drinks but the patrons contribute to a kitty to pay for supplies.

Davie said: 'We used to sit in the paint store with a carry-out but decided to make it a bit cosier. In the last couple of years, the joiners in the group added bits and pieces.'

Davie even advertised in the local paper for a church pew which was cut to size to become a seat running the length of the bar.

And he installed a portable toilet in the garden to avoid having guests trailing through his house.

Davie's wife, Lynne, 42, said: 'I'm not allowed in, neither is my daughter Leanne.

'My son David is allowed in because they like his live music.

'I'm pleased about the whole thing because I get to watch my soaps onTV.

'When Davie's in, it's all sport and fishing we have to watch.

'He goes out at 7pm, before his mates start to arrive, and I get peace to do my own thing

I knew this kid at school who was like this guy. He used to give out chocolates all the time so he had some friends. Very sad.

- Snow

Latest posts

Back