Dave Does Denver

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last set:

img_3718.jpg
img_3719.jpg
img_3720.jpg
img_3721.jpg
img_3722.jpg

Breweries send 1 or 2 x 20 litre kegs although some breweries sent a 50 litre keg
img_3723.jpg

Beers bought back for BJCP classes
img_3764.jpg

Great post Dave. I really enjoyed the observations on attendees and it was nice to hear a mention of Jarre Creek Ranch Brewery (a little guy) among others. I'm originally from Denver, Colorado and it's been fun to follow your thread.

Beers bought back for BJCP classes
View attachment 21985

Wow nice haul: Odell's 90, Optimator, Anchor, SNP, I see a Rogue long neck or two in there, Breckenridge Brewery, Sam Adams, Bass oh Rogue Dead Guy!! nice been at least 10 years since I've had that one - I remember it not being to style, or an American spin on a Maibock. Interested to see what your class thinks.

Funny to think that haul would've cost you around $100-$125USD (not including the ass-grinding you likely received on duty). As you say, we have some catching up to do (and 686% agreed on the telco front, too).

Cheers,
reVox

Well i was upset at not seing the thread on the BJCP course........... now i have a sick feeling in my guts <_<

Enjoy em folks

Great post Dave. I really enjoyed the observations on attendees and it was nice to hear a mention of Jarre Creek Ranch Brewery (a little guy) among others. I'm originally from Denver, Colorado and it's been fun to follow your thread.

Wow nice haul: Odell's 90, Optimator, Anchor, SNP, I see a Rogue long neck or two in there, Breckenridge Brewery, Sam Adams, Bass oh Rogue Dead Guy!! nice been at least 10 years since I've had that one - I remember it not being to style, or an American spin on a Maibock. Interested to see what your class thinks.

Funny to think that haul would've cost you around $100-$125USD (not including the ass-grinding you likely received on duty). As you say, we have some catching up to do (and 686% agreed on the telco front, too).

Cheers,
reVox

Hi reVox,

You have keen eyes there my friend - but luckilly some of the bottles still remain a mystery to my BJCP students :lol: But there is also some Great Divide, Full Sail and one or two others.

I feel sorry for you moving from the town that has the most breweries per head in the world to the beer wasteland called Australia. The 6 packs were around $9 with the longnecks being $3-5.

The main hassle with bringing so much beer back was that it was so heavy. I had two bags for the beer (I had to buy a backpack over there so that I could bring my clothes back) and when I put them on the scales at checkin the numbers started flashing. That can't be good I thought ! I had to move some books that I had bought from the GABF into my laptop bag to keep the scales happy.

Each bag weighed 70 lbs and when taken together with a heavy backpack and laptop I was exhausted when I got onto the train home to Newcastle.

I was worried that there could be some casualties as I ran out of bubblewrap. Even though most bottles were bubblewrapped and placed in two plastic bags (to catch any spills) I jumped at every airport announcement expecting to be called out as my bag was leaking.

But there was only one casualty with a Sam Adams being smashed.

It was nice to be there, but great to be home.

If any of you guys can find $3,000 we can go again next year - group discount anyone ?

Thanks for your interest,
Dave has done Denver!

Well i was upset at not seing the thread on the BJCP course........... now i have a sick feeling in my guts <_<

Enjoy em folks

Tony, turn that sick feeling into one of satisfaction by getting involved in our local comps. By helping out you will be able to taste the world class beers produced by our local home brewers here in the Hunter.

David

There is certainly more than 2250mls of alcohol there Dave so you would have had to pay duty on the full amount you bought back :( or did you get a friendly customs officer?

Looks like you had a great time and ther are certainly one or two tidy units in those photos ;) !

C&B
TDA

There is certainly more than 2250mls of alcohol there Dave so you would have had to pay duty on the full amount you bought back :( or did you get a friendly customs officer?

Looks like you had a great time and ther are certainly one or two tidy units in those photos ;) !

C&B
TDA

TDA,

Last time I came back from the states the excise came to $27 and they waved me through. This time it was $57 so they couldn't really overlook it.

I don't mind as I will pass it onto my BJCP students.

$1 a sip sounds about right ;)

Dave

Some beers require more than one sip. To fully appreciate their complex flavours and aromas of course.
This could become expensive. Do you have a bulk purchase discount available Dave?

Wow, that is amazing. Soooo pleased to be learning to judge. Study just got a huge motivational kick up the jacksee

Tony, turn that sick feeling into one of satisfaction by getting involved in our local comps. By helping out you will be able to taste the world class beers produced by our local home brewers here in the Hunter.

David

Thats not quite the same Dave

You dont work with the Army in the recruitment department do you?

Currently in my room in Vegas drinking a Dechutes Fat Tire (love their work) and realised after Dave's pictures of the haul that I should have been collecting some of the many fine brews to take home. Time is running out as I'm home on Friday. So much to do and see, but way more to drink.

daniel

Dechutes Fat Tire

Is it similar to the New Belgium Fat Tire, a fine beer by any standard, which, if you score a can, has yeast added at canning..

K

Is it similar to the New Belgium Fat Tire, a fine beer by any standard, which, if you score a can, has yeast added at canning..

K

wow, I was way too into my brew last night, thanks for correcting my error K. Deschutes and New Belgium both on hand at the time.

daniel

Latest posts

Back