darren lockyer and gas

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dougsbrew

Beer Sloth
Reaction score
hmm so sad, must be hard up for a buck, now a front for the coal seam industry.
the series still in play can be seen here - http://www.aplng.com.au/darren-lockyers-journey
i love this bit copied of their website --
The majority of the fluids which are pumped underground during the hydraulic fracturing process are recovered from the well after the fraccing is completed. While underground the fluid is further diluted by the water already present in the coal seams, so that when it is brought back up to the surface the chemicals are barely detectable.

Yes thats right the chemicals didnt come back up to the surface......

CSG is fucked. plain and simple. I've worked in underground mines myself and see the necessary evil of the mining industry, however CSG is a whole different kettle of fish. The negatives far outweigh the positives and the danger of spoiled drinking water and farming land is just far too great. It's not a matter of if it's a matter of when. Anyone wishing to educate themselves on the subject should google the documentary 'Gasland'.

I agree Buuut, Darren is a legend so that null and voids all arguments against..... not

thanks for link koots
heres a linky -

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly, how can any sane, logically thinking person not see that they are releasing chemical compounds that have been locked up tight for millions of years and they are releasing them underground. There is no way they can guarantee that they can mop them all up and prevent them from entering the water table. I guess Darren Lockyer knows what side his bread is buttered on.

Unfortunately Tony that's the problem, media and sporting personalities who have no idea what they are endorsing and the gullibility of the public stupid enough to blindly believe what they are told.

AndrewQLD said:
media and sporting personalities who have no idea what they are endorsing
That's a fairly generous position you're taking there.

bum said:
That's a fairly generous position you're taking there.
True, however it's not a sweeping statement, merely an observation of those personalities who have no idea of what they are talking about.

Darren Lockyer always came across as a card carrying member of homo sapiens sapiens, unlike some of his peers.

Do any of you live in or have lived in one of these places.............and sorry browndog I respect you a heap but Ippy doesn't count.

Andrew it implies.........be very careful of vested interest from both the CSG lobby and the greenies and so called informative documentaries. I have lived in places where CSG is being developed and still have good frineds there. In some ways it's divided between winners.............have easy access...........and losers.................next door got a deal and I didn't...............now I'm against it. It has created opportunities for places and also created social problems as well but please don't base an argument on greeny docs and winners and losers. Go visit.....talk to some people from both sides and make your mind up. It may take some time I'm only 60 / 40 myself at the moment. :icon_cheers:

Right. Because money is what matters?

I have a friend who works for one of the CSG companies and what she says is that the environmental testing / reporting is bare minimum, window dressing compared to what is really goin on.

Rowy said:
Andrew it implies.........be very careful of vested interest from both the CSG lobby and the greenies and so called informative documentaries. I have lived in places where CSG is being developed and still have good frineds there. In some ways it's divided between winners.............have easy access...........and losers.................next door got a deal and I didn't...............now I'm against it. It has created opportunities for places and also created social problems as well but please don't base an argument on greeny docs and winners and losers. Go visit.....talk to some people from both sides and make your mind up. It may take some time I'm only 60 / 40 myself at the moment. :icon_cheers:
Fair comment and taken on board, will try to look into the details further, although my comments regarding celeb endorsement style ads still stands.
Maybe i should take my own advice hey -_-

Rowy said:
Hmmmm.. I'll stand by my original statement. Plus add to the mash if my memory serves me right, the Arrow Company being shut down out near Kingaroy as they found contaminants in the water table. Living in one of those places has nothing at all to do with being able to look at the situation and yes, I can see the environment is going to get pretty fucked up by that.

And I recall the locals around the Condomine river are talking about gas bubbling up through the river a lot these days... bit of a coincidence hey.

OK I'll bite.

15 years on Drilling rigs here. Mining Exploration, Water Boring and Coal Seam Gas Drilling included. So a vested interest...Grew up next to the Condamine, family still on the farm.

D Locs gotta make a living and so do I.

The core problem with dealing with wells is that everything that goes on essentially happens out of sight. There is no open pit or people working underground to see 'whats going on'. The problems that surface are symptomatic of a failure of the systems in place, and these failures are in nobodies interest, least of all as it is the raw product CSG companies are seeking escaping. I can say that any CSG company I have worked for, including Santos, QGC, Arrow and others are very professional outfits and take their responsibilities very seriously.

As for gas bubbling up in the Condamine, I can liken it to the Min Min Lights (stay with me here). These lights are caused by gas making its way to the surface, a natural phenomena. The increased observance of it in the Condamine is no coincidence, cause anyone with an axe to grind is out there searching for it.

Cougar energy had their Underground Coal Gasification plant shut down at Kingaroy. Related in some ways to the CSG industry

Cool your jets guys. Get educated.

I am happy to talk to you about what goes on on a CSG rig. A lot of people depend on this industry, and the products derived from it.

Actually, the min min lights are an optical phenomenon caused by inversion layers making distant lights (car headlights, fires, moon etc) appear closer and distorted. Most of them occur in desert country and there is little correlation between where they appear and any gas presence.

The science may one day prove CSG safe. I doubt it, but it may and I'm keeping a somewhat open mind on that point. The point though is that the science simply has not been done. And will never be done until the wells are in and its way too late. Precautionary principle. Do the science then drill. not the other way around.

That and the fat that pumping more gas (which is not a clean fuel when you account for fugitive emissions) into the system is downright crazy.

Cheers
Dave

My only experience of Lockyer was when he out with the rest of the Brisbane donkeys at a bar I was playing in. It was the worst behaviour I have ever seen from a bunch of blokes on the piss (and I am no wowser). He was an absolute grub....so it doesn;t surprise me that he is in bed with CSG. Very limited moral fibre.

Latest posts

Back